Does grain free fish food exist??

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I recently read the ingredients of my fish favorite flake food, and I was surprised by what they had listed. There was a lot of wheat products and I'm pretty sure wheat is not food these guys would find in the big blue:rolleyes: I'd like to keep my fish on a diet that is closest to what they would find in the wild.

Does anyone know of any dry food that has good whole ingredients? And doesn't have any grains?

I do feed my fish frozen regularly but I'd like a dry food to supplement with as well.

Thanks #reefsquad

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been feeding NLS pellets for years. Third ingredient is whole wheat flour. Every other thing on the label is ocean stuff.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a mix of LRS, Rod's, Hikari Mysis, Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 and Formula 2... all frozen.

The only 'dry' foods I use are Nori sheets. Uncooked, sun dried, no additives... It's intended for human consumption, I get the stuff off of Amazon. Way cheaper than the sheet stuff packaged for fish food.

I'd like to keep my fish on a diet that is closest to what they would find in the wild

I agree... but if that's the case, why would you want to use a dry fish flake?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some dehydrated mysis in my last My Aquarium Box, that might be an option if you can't or don't want to feed frozen. I know there are dehydrated mysis, blood worms, and such.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be argumentative, but what's the reasoning behind such a desire? One of the best performing feeds on the market is Otohime, and it has some potato and wheat in the formulation.

In fact, I published the first article in the literature describing a fish meal and fish oil free diet that equaled or bettered diets containing both. No worries about feeding non-marine sourced ingredients. In fact, its healthier for the ecological systems of the ocean to leave the menhaden, squid, herring, etc. in the water, if you care about those kinds of things.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0044848609008916

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been feeding NLS pellets for years. Third ingredient is whole wheat flour. Every other thing on the label is ocean stuff.
Yeah I have them too! Healthiest option I could find so far. Only thing is is that my fish don’t seem to love them

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I forgot to mention another part of this: it's hard to extrude pellets that don't have any starches in them, like wheat flour. It's going to be very hard to find a pelleted feed that doesn't disintegrate when it hits the water without something starchy in the formulation.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be argumentative, but what's the reasoning behind such a desire? One of the best performing feeds on the market is Otohime, and it has some potato and wheat in the formulation.

In fact, I published the first article in the literature describing a fish meal and fish oil free diet that equaled or bettered diets containing both. No worries about feeding non-marine sourced ingredients. In fact, its healthier for the ecological systems of the ocean to leave the menhaden, squid, herring, etc. in the water, if you care about those kinds of things.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0044848609008916
The main reason is that I know for other fish species such as goldfish, grains can cause digestive problems. I understand that goldfish have very different body types than most marine fish so that they are more prone to digestive issues but being that our marine fish are from the ocean and have lived off of seafoods and algae for the history of their existence, I could only imagine how whole diets would be more beneficial. This is just my opinion on the matter and I’m sure with all the research and experimenting that has been done on fish foods that these other options aren’t necessarily bad. I personally just like to go the more natural route when feeding my fish:)

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a mix of LRS, Rod's, Hikari Mysis, Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 and Formula 2... all frozen.

The only 'dry' foods I use are Nori sheets. Uncooked, sun dried, no additives... It's intended for human consumption, I get the stuff off of Amazon. Way cheaper than the sheet stuff packaged for fish food.

I do feed frozen a lot if the time but dry foods are just easier in my opinion. It’s cheaper most of the time and has a longer shelf life. I was just asking to see if other options were available that I wasn’t aware of ;)

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dig your style! I try to feed as much freshly frozen, responsibly sourced, marine components as I can. It's not clear from the data, but my conjecture is that the bacteria that come along with those protein sources act like probiotics. Another factor is the way larger still-hydrated particles versus dehydrated ground feed ingredients get digested.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some dehydrated mysis in my last My Aquarium Box, that might be an option if you can't or don't want to feed frozen. I know there are dehydrated mysis, blood worms, and such.
That is a good option. I normally do feed frozen but was looking for an all natural flake or pellet food. Will look into it though:p

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I forgot to mention another part of this: it's hard to extrude pellets that don't have any starches in them, like wheat flour. It's going to be very hard to find a pelleted feed that doesn't disintegrate when it hits the water without something starchy in the formulation.
Yeah that’s true. Thank you!!

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have them too! Healthiest option I could find so far. Only thing is is that my fish don’t seem to love them
Otohime has enough squid meal that I think anything that comes from the ocean would be super interested in eating the pellets, as long as it got introduced to them gradually.

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dry foods are just easier in my opinion.
All you have to do is take a frozen square and through it in the tank and they will eat it as it thaws. pretty easy unless you get the bags of frozen. I use them both myself.
You can get the bags of frozen and cut it in preserving sizes that you will use and put them in a zip lock and then just through them in each time you feed and that will be a lot easier day to day. but to me you cant get better then the frozen.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.8%
Back