does MTRC do a frag fest or any thing like that?

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my old club would buy large colonies of each type of coral and teach people how to frag by hosting an event every year. They also would get people to chip in and do individual pieces every so often. I know that MTRC has a frag swap do they also do other stuff like this.

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have done this once in the past that I know with an acro colony....

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah we have in the past. Did it at AC. Chris would donated a coral for us to frag. last year it was a Aussie acro. Year before was a chalice.

OP
OP
M

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In another club we had a sample of each type of coral every one paid 30 bucks and had to be a dues paying member and every one went home with a bunch of frags senior members would man stations and let people cut and mount if no tile saw was needed. It is an annual event and one of the reasons that club has so many members. I have also seen clubs that would frag a different type of coral at each meeting as an educational experience. Both of these approaches can be pretty neat ways to educate and pass along info and frags.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a fragging demo. I've not seen it actually being done. Rhett explained to me HOW it works, and still it's scary.

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not hard at all. If anyone ever wants a demo come on over. I will try and have some stuff on hand for the Nov. meeting at my place so we can chop some stuff up by hand and we can also frag with my saw. If anyone wants more details on fragging something just let me know. I can give you some pointers on do's and dont's.

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we can try this on this Tyree war coral that i have, we should be able to get at least 10 decent frags off of this. we can demonstrate with this piece if people are interested in the frags. i would guess frags would be $15-20. i would expext this to be a saw demonstration. let me know if anyone is interested just to see if there is enough interest in cutting this up.... sorry picture isnt the best but you get the point...

IMG_20110822_191518.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back