OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old remedy for goldfish and will not work in saltwater. Brine shrimp and even liquid vitamins will work
Thanks. I do usually once a week put liquid vitamins in their food.

Let's say hypothetically someone mashed a pea up and all the fish decided to take some good bites out of it. Are the marine fish in trouble? Clownfish+blenny?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks. I do usually once a week put liquid vitamins in their food.

Let's say hypothetically someone mashed a pea up and all the fish decided to take some good bites out of it. Are the marine fish in trouble? Clownfish+blenny?
Not in trouble. .. just does not work with their digestive system

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20230408_093216518.jpg

Gone. He ate last night like a champ and this morning he was dying. Lost almost all his color and was barely able to swim.

My other clownfish is starting to act strange with some slight panting and loss of appetite. I have a small med tank and will be setting it up shortly to treat him to try and prevent him from dying.
This all started when I noticed my orange clownfish was losing color on his fins. You would see white spots where the black and orange should be. He swam kind of dopey but was always in the mood to eat. He kept losing color and now he is gone.
This is definitely my last attempt with fish in my tank. I got into the hobby for corals primarily and the fish was just for fluff but I don't have good luck with fish.

Now this tank is a tank transfer from a 13 gallon into a 25 gallon and has been running since February. All the live rock from the tank went right into this tank so I was told a cycle wasn't needed as long as I don't go crazy for my and add too much too quickly.

I tried to use a Hannah Ammonia checker to see what my ammonia was really at but I kept getting "low light" errors and I eventually gave up. So I settled for my dumb API ammonia checker and the color showed "zero."

Wish me luck. I'm pretty sure if I don't treat the second clownfish now he will definitely die just like the other one. I have a tailspot blenny in the tank and he has been acting just fine other than a small protruding white spot on his mid section.

Got a good air stone, will be using old tank water in the med tank to get things started. It was recommended to me that I keep the salinity slightly lower than normal. Apparently that helps with healing.

Like I said, inverts and corals. Apparently I am doing something wrong to kill fish cause I haven't had good luck in this tank.

Side note. I notice I am struggling with evaporation/salinity. I find by the end of the week my tanks salinity goes from 1.025 to 1.028 and I have "the best on the market" Tunze ATO for this tank. I don't know if that swing is causing problems either.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to diagnose a dead fish, but the tail fin seems to have a lot of mucus on it. That could be a sign of Brooklynella, which clownfish develop fairly often, but that does NOT line up with the previous issues with this fish, and I cannot account for how Brooklynella would have gotten into your tank, sorry!

Jay

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to diagnose a dead fish, but the tail fin seems to have a lot of mucus on it. That could be a sign of Brooklynella, which clownfish develop fairly often, but that does NOT line up with the previous issues with this fish, and I cannot account for how Brooklynella would have gotten into your tank, sorry!

Jay

I have no idea how it got in there either or whatever it was. My new phone (cheap phone) sucks at taking pictures. I couldn't get a clear image of him in the tank if my life depended on it. I'm not looking for a magic answer cause I know I have nothing clear to give you.

Regardless the newer clown is having that fading on his tail and is acting strange and not eating. Lethargic and has a panting style breathing.

I'm not taking the chance so I set up a med tank with my old tank water. Diluted it a little bit to lower the salinity and once I am comfortable with the temp I will acclimate him into the med tank and treat him.

IMG_20230408_154056143.jpg

It was recommended I use ParaGaurd and watch him and see if he feels better and wants to eat.

I just know in my gut something is wrong with this fish cause he is behaving just like the other did.

The hobby is starting to stress me out a little bit.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how it got in there either or whatever it was. My new phone (cheap phone) sucks at taking pictures. I couldn't get a clear image of him in the tank if my life depended on it. I'm not looking for a magic answer cause I know I have nothing clear to give you.

Regardless the newer clown is having that fading on his tail and is acting strange and not eating. Lethargic and has a panting style breathing.

I'm not taking the chance so I set up a med tank with my old tank water. Diluted it a little bit to lower the salinity and once I am comfortable with the temp I will acclimate him into the med tank and treat him.

IMG_20230408_154056143.jpg

It was recommended I use ParaGaurd and watch him and see if he feels better and wants to eat.

I just know in my gut something is wrong with this fish cause he is behaving just like the other did.

The hobby is starting to stress me out a little bit.

Paraguard has a pretty poor track record with marine fish (but it works better for FW fish). I'd suggest coppersafe as an alternative for possible protozoan infections.

Jay

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paraguard has a pretty poor track record with marine fish (but it works better for FW fish). I'd suggest coppersafe as an alternative for possible protozoan infections.

Jay
Ok. I had to order that off of Amazon cause I've never seen any stores I go to carry that. It claims it will be here tomorrow. He still hasn't eaten yet but I suspect he should make it until tomorrow. (I hope)

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be sure I am reading this right. (I can be a dumbie)

It says treats water for 1 month. So until a water change is done I dose again? Just making sure I am not being stupid here.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be sure I am reading this right. (I can be a dumbie)

It says treats water for 1 month. So until a water change is done I dose again? Just making sure I am not being stupid here.
Check your copper ppm regularly and adjust as needed. If it is below 2.25 threshold, add to get it back up to where it needs to be. Copper levels should not fluctuate too much

For water change, make up the new water and dose to get up to same PPM as tank then use that to replenish whatever you remove

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20230409_174514949.jpg

He is in. I hope this helps him recover from "whatever" is making him sick. He still won't eat and I have loads of good stuff for him to snack on. I know he is in trouble and if I don't attempt something he will be done in like the other clownfish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20230409_174514949.jpg

He is in. I hope this helps him recover from "whatever" is making him sick. He still won't eat and I have loads of good stuff for him to snack on. I know he is in trouble and if I don't attempt something he will be done in like the other clownfish.
Be sure to keep track of the ammonia level in that tank.
Jay

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to keep track of the ammonia level in that tank.
Jay
I can't get the Hannah ammonia checker to work and my only other option is API at the moment. Is there another brand you would recommend?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get the Hannah ammonia checker to work and my only other option is API at the moment. Is there another brand you would recommend?
APIs are so tough to read, but should give you a rough indication of ammonia, I’d say Salifert works better.
Jay

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay. I have to ask you a stupid question. @Jay Hemdal

I am learning how stupid I am not realizing how dosing Alkalinity works (ESV 2 part).

25 gallon tank, 25 mL of Alk and Calcium.

I was dosing that all at once. Causing me precipitation problems that I am now figuring out.

Is it possible that may have made my clownfish sick by causing some extreme swings in the tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay. I have to ask you a stupid question. @Jay Hemdal

I am learning how stupid I am not realizing how dosing Alkalinity works (ESV 2 part).

25 gallon tank, 25 mL of Alk and Calcium.

I was dosing that all at once. Causing me precipitation problems that I am now figuring out.

Is it possible that may have made my clownfish sick by causing some extreme swings in the tank?
Sorry, IDK. Changes in alkalinity and/or calcium are more of an issue with invertebrates than fish. Fish react to salinity and pH changes more. Precipitates are another issue - these are known to clog fish's gills, to various degrees, depending on the precipitate and the severity of the issue.

Jay

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Still hasn't eaten anything that I can see. I see him spitting stuff out but he doesn't stray to far from that wall.

Long stringy looking poop which I was told was from mysis shrimp but he hasn't eaten as far as I can tell since this past weekend. I'd be lying if I said I felt enthusiastic about his well being. Not putting that on any of you, just being a bit defeated.

Ammonia appears to be 0.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back