Does NP bacto balance contains ammonia?

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am really surprised and I am not sure if my ammonia test is useful to determine the concentration in this case. The thing is that I have detected a small concentration of ammonia in my aquarium while using np bacto balance and I decided to do a test to the product using red sea ammonia test, with the following result:

IMG_7680.jpg

The test is designed to use 5 ml of sample. I have used 2 ml of np bacto balance plus 3 ml of RO water.

Is results are correct, then this product is adding amonia (among other things) to the tank, to generate nitrate.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am really surprised and I am not sure if my ammonia test is useful to determine the concentration in this case. The thing is that I have detected a small concentration of ammonia in my aquarium while using np bacto balance and I decided to do a test to the product using red sea ammonia test, with the following result:

IMG_7680.jpg

The test is designed to use 5 ml of sample. I have used 2 ml of np bacto balance plus 3 ml of RO water.

Is results are correct, then this product is adding amonia (among other things) to the tank, to generate nitrate.
Are you using a FW kit or a marine kit. Results will vary if using a marine kit to test freshwater samples.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The max dosage I believe is .01mL / L.
You tested 2mL / 5mL or 400mL/L so this is 40,000x the dose.
If you found detectable ammonia at 1X or even 10x the dose, then maybe that would be more indicative of significant ammonia.

OP
OP
Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it is saltwater test kit

I am suspecting of my test is wrong. I will get a diferente test kit and do it again

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I think this would be the way. Thanks
Dose a tank’s size dose in 1 L of fresh saltwater and measure ammonia in the saltwater before and after dosing the product. Even if it has a tiny amount of ammonia, you will be able ti measure it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me a pic of your display reef I'll tell you if that is another red sea ammonia test misread. If it is, I'll add it to page nine of the red sea ammonia test kit misreads thread.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no time that a small dose of ammonia, tiny, will register that reading in a normal running reef tank with circulation, rocks, sand, fish and coral

If you were on seneye it would read .00x ppm nh3 not two ppm nh4, as that shows above. Tank pic for the win.

What reef tanks do with ammonia, and by when, is already known and we can relate that to your tank based on a picture, no cross verification is needed on other samples etc

We use tank pictures because they tell us if the system is cycled or not, using the life inside the reef as a tell

Any owner of a seneye knows that reading isn't possible in a cycled running reef tank. Non digital test kit owners will believe its possible until they buy a seneye, or read 100 seneye logs uploaded by seneye owners

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a test of your actual reef tank water and post that pic of the reading

That helps calibrate your kit above, we know what running reef tanks should read on that kit.

OP
OP
Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i double checked with a salifert test kit. It was a miss reading by the red sea

It was without any sense at all

thanks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back