Does pH probe location matter>

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new GHL pH probe that I keep calibrated but it constantly reads wrong. I check it with a Hanna pH meter, and although I don't completely trust the Hanna to be entirely accurate, the read out it gives me correlates with what I would expect to see. My ALK is 8.3 (salifert) and I am dosing AFR via GHL pump.

Back to the GHL probe, it has read 6.xx for quite some time and was in the sump where the drain connects to my Clarisea. This morning I decided to move the probe to the return pump chamber. During the day today, I look and its reading in the 9s so I know something's not right. Could it be a bad probe? I wouldn't think the reading would vary too greatly depending on location its placed.

I have inspected it and it is intact and clean. Also, I do not have a refugium in the sump.

Thanks

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mostly no, but if I put probe on a bottom of my overflow box. ph. drops by .4 I showed a video of it long time ago, but no one cared about it. there is no movement of water on bottom of my overflow.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't completely trust the Hanna to be entirely accurate, the read out it gives me correlates with what I would expect to see. My ALK is 8.3 (salifert)
Are you suggesting that there's a correlation between a specific alkalinity and a suspected pH?

And talk more about how after calibrating your probe you're getting "6.xx" in one location and 9+ in another.

Have you checked your tank, sump, overflow for stray voltage? How do you have the pH probe cable routed when you get 6s and what's the difference when you place it in a spot that gets 9s? Is the cable next to a power cord in one of those scenarios?

I'd personally start ruling out the easy stuff, and then start focusing on possibly a faulty probe.

Does the probe itself look damaged? Cracked... swollen... broken bulb... etc?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH probe location can only make a minor difference in real pH unless flow is very low and you measure after a lit refugium vs before it, etc.

pH 9 is inaccurate, except right where high pH alk additives are put in, and only when adding them.

There are various sorts of electrical interferences that cna impact pH measurement, such as ground loop issues or itnerference from havign the cord near sources of electrical signals, such as mh ballasts, other cords, etc.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back