Does radion G5 diffuser fit?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone knows if the G5 diffuser fit on the G4? It’s half less in price. Thx

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the G5 comes with the magnets in the unit already for the diffuser. the older units had a plate that attached to the light with the magnets and then the diffuser attached to that. I mean you could just get some cheap magnets and glue to the light and pop the diffuser on that. still probably be cheaper

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the G5 comes with the magnets in the unit already for the diffuser. the older units had a plate that attached to the light with the magnets and then the diffuser attached to that. I mean you could just get some cheap magnets and glue to the light and pop the diffuser on that. still probably be cheaper
Sounds it might do the job. I have 4 diffusers on my 120 and it adds up quick. Now I need 3 for my new build, saving about $50 which I am willing try. So are both having the same dimensions?

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know this as well. I started looking for some diffuses for my G3's and they don't seem to be readily available any more. Maybe from Ecotech?

Nothing wrong with a DIY project.

Thanks

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know this as well. I started looking for some diffuses for my G3's and they don't seem to be readily available any more. Maybe from Ecotech?

Nothing wrong with a DIY project.

Thanks
I ended up gotten 3 new diffusers here.

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pick them up from an individual or shop? Ecotech is the only place I have seen not showing out of stock.

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - Just as a test, I bought 2 of the G5 diffusers. Using a magnet to attach will be easy. Allowing airflow for the fan will be the sticking point. Cut holes in the diffuser or leave a gap on the fixture with the magnet to allow air to pass?

Am I crazy? :)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The g4 and g5 diffusers are completely different. As mentioned above, the reason for the added expense on the g4s is because it requires an added component that gets attached to the fixture so that the diffuser portion has a place to magnetically couple. In reality you're paying for twice the amount of magnets and molded plastic on the g4 diffusers.

The G5s come equipped with the magnets embedded in the housing, so all you have to do is purchase the diffuser.

With that all said, even if you hot glued magnets onto your g4 and purchased a g5 diffuser, you wouldn't be able to adequately use it because the fan placement is completely different between the two models.

Your best bet is to search out and purchase the g4 diffusers for your g4 lights.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back