Does salt go bad?

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found an unopened box of reef crystals 25 gal. mix. I can't remember when I bought it. It's been stored in a large Rubbermaid bin. I was just looking for stuff and found it. I guess I might have bought it a couple years ago maybe?

Does this salt have a shelf life? Should I toss it or think it's safe to use?

Thanks.

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found an unopened box of reef crystals 25 gal. mix. I can't remember when I bought it. It's been stored in a large Rubbermaid bin. I was just looking for stuff and found it. I guess I might have bought it a couple years ago maybe?

Does this salt have a shelf life? Should I toss it or think it's safe to use?

Thanks.
It can absorb moisture over time and clump together, making it hard to mix. But I dont think it goes "bad" like a gallon of milk goes bad. I've used unopened bags I found in the garage that were several years old with no I'll effects.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree above +1
It doesnt go bad. It it had organics they are gone. Might mix with some ammonia in water or smell. If it is clumpy elements won't mix properly or in right ratio etc.

OP
OP
S

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess there was something not right about it. I tried to mix 10 gallons and a lot of the salt would not dissolve. I did the recommended cups and the salt level was like 1.017. There looked like almost a cup at the bottom of container that wouldn't dissolve. The salt was like a brick and the bag had yellowed. I was doing some forum searching and seen those were bad signs.

I did go buy a 10 gal. box of instant ocean and it mixed good and salt level was showing 1.027 so I'll let it mix til tomorrow evening for my water change. And add some fresh RO water if needed to get to 1.025.

Thanks for the replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back