Does the Seneye par meter work without the slides?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting a Seneye primarily for the par meter and only using the slides when I need a QT tank. Does the PAR meter work on its own without a slide? Thanks!

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting a Seneye primarily for the par meter and only using the slides when I need a QT tank. Does the PAR meter work on its own without a slide? Thanks!
you might want to watch this video if you planning on buying seneye for the par meter.

Looks like the readings are way off in comparison to Apogee meters (which are generally considered accurate).

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS comparison with Licor, Apogee and Seneye par meters

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS comparison with Licor, Apogee and Seneye par meters

Thanks for this! For my LPS/softie tank, the Seneye looks like the best one for me. The fact that it’s less accurate at the corners of the tank is no biggie.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to do some further research before pulling the trigger on the Seneye. The BRS video is old and in it they mention turning on the “compensation” feature. Parker says the new software does not have that feature and was directed by Seneye to look up their online compensation tables. Since his reading are like 80% different than the Apogee it is worth digging further to find out what is up and why did they make the software changes. Just my 2 cents!

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently built DIY apogee par meter for about the cost of seneye and t works perfect with formula that converts readings on multimeter to PAR. I've used both seneye and apogee and apogee is IMO easier to use. I commend you on just going after PAR readings, you would not believe the amount of folks that have no idea what PAR is in the their tanks. Link below to DIY.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently built DIY apogee par meter for about the cost of seneye and t works perfect with formula that converts readings on multimeter to PAR. I've used both seneye and apogee and apogee is IMO easier to use. I commend you on just going after PAR readings, you would not believe the amount of folks that have no idea what PAR is in the their tanks. Link below to DIY.

Thanks for this! This seems like the best option, both cheaper than the Seneye and more accurate.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this Apogee?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use that kind of setup but just one word of advice. The readings you get are only going to be as accurate as the voltmeter you use. Cheap $30 meters are pretty bad at reading voltages in the "mv" range. If you can justify the expense I suggest getting at least an entry level Fluke Meter. This will read more accurately than the Apogee meter and it has a whole lot of other uses around the house.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder what they changed that its so far off.

I think mine is at least in the ballpark. I have two T5 bulbs and two XHOs, get ~130 PAR on the sand with the fixture at 8" off the water.

Last time I used it to read PAR was about three months ago when I changed up my lighting.

U

User1

View Badges
you might want to watch this video if you planning on buying seneye for the par meter.

Looks like the readings are way off in comparison to Apogee meters (which are generally considered accurate).

Disagree. As @Fin already provided the BRS video compared it to others and, well, it performed very well.

Here is the deal. For 200 bucks and some change you get:

1. Par meter
2. Out of water alert notification - doesn't require slide(s)
3. Ammonia meter should you QT, isolate, or do anything similar with new animals that you track Ammonia

Honestly it pays for itself with items 1 and 2 alone. The rest is just gravy.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disagree. As @Fin already provided the BRS video compared it to others and, well, it performed very well.

Here is the deal. For 200 bucks and some change you get:

1. Par meter
2. Out of water alert notification - doesn't require slide(s)
3. Ammonia meter should you QT, isolate, or do anything similar with new animals that you track Ammonia

Honestly it pays for itself with items 1 and 2 alone. The rest is just gravy.

Someone on the thread had already explained why the BRS results are not valid anymore. There is a software compensation feature that is now not available. So looks like it doesnt work as well for PAR.

U

User1

View Badges
Someone on the thread had already explained why the BRS results are not valid anymore. There is a software compensation feature that is now not available. So looks like it doesnt work as well for PAR.

Yes, read it. I also own one. I believe they discuss this in their FAQ if you dive down. The main complaint is how you have to hold their device pretty steady and level for best readings. I'm not too much into social media so don't watch Parker's stuff. However, there is an answer from Seneye there from the quick glance I looked at it.

Up to you I guess.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to see if anyone has anymore insight into this? Has anyone done a side-by-side between the different versions of the software? What is Seneye's position on the change?

I'm running an older version of the software. I'm guessing I should hold onto it.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to see if anyone has anymore insight into this? Has anyone done a side-by-side between the different versions of the software? What is Seneye's position on the change?

I'm running an older version of the software. I'm guessing I should hold onto it.
Yes I would hold onto it.
What would be super helpful is if you pick a random spot in the Tank and Post the PAR reading with compensation on and off. That would give us a good idea of how much compensation is happening.
Thanks.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would hold onto it.
What would be super helpful is if you pick a random spot in the Tank and Post the PAR reading with compensation on and off. That would give us a good idea of how much compensation is happening.
Thanks.
I got the same readings on both versions that I have. I have two computers I used, each with a different version.

My lighting is two Reef Brite XHO actinic, one Reef Brite 50/50 T5 and one ATI actinic T5. Fixture is 24" and 8" off the surface. Readings below were bottom 15" below water, center, front of display.

Would 148 PAR be far off for this setup? I wouldn't think close to double as seen in the other post.

The firmware on the Seneye is version 2.0.16.

1610317367581.png

1610317035039.png

Screenshot (36).png

Screenshot (39).png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back