Does this Green BTA look ok?

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I've had this green BTA for like 2 months now. It seems to be surviving, but I'm not really sure if it's thriving. First, it doesn't look like any BTA I've ever seen, to the point where I questioned if it was a BTA at all but after posting in the identification thread on R2R, a few people said it was in fact a green BTA. The mouth is a little hard to see in the pictures, but it is actually closed. The tentacles are really short and thin, not sure why. I try to look up all I can about green BTAs and everything is either "don't spot feed it and they like tons of light and flow" to "spot feed it every couple days, they don't like a lot of light and prefer moderate flow" so now I don't even know what to do with this thing. Is there a BTA expert on here that can take a quick look at these pictures and maybe give me some insight on what's wrong (if anything) with this BTA?

Here is info about the tank in general from the ID thread I posted: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-type-of-anemone-is-this.813365/post-8713508

20210317_135903.jpg
20210317_135918.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters and lighting?

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters and lighting?
From the other thread:
It's a nano tank, Fluval flex 32.5 saltwater with a second light, the light stats are:

Wattage42 W
Lumens1800 lm
Color Temp.25 000 K
LEDs252

I have them set to ramp up purple, blue, and cyan from 0% to 100%, pink and white from 0% to 20% over 4 hours, 5 hours at 100%/20% and then ramp down over 3 hours.

Flow I have a hydor nano powerhead at one end doing like 240 gph and a Jebao SCP-70M (it's like a cheap chinese gyre ripoff) that says it's up to 1850 gph running on random. The return pump if you count that is a Sicce silent 1.5 says it's rated for 357 gph.

I removed the sponge filters and installed the intank media baskets, just running filter floss and carbon in them right now. I also have an icecap k1 protein skimmer in the back compartment.

Tank is 9 months old, yes I realize this is too young for an anemone, but here we are, and I need to make sure it'll be ok.

Temp: 77.6 F (this ranges up to like 78.5 when the lights are on mid day)
Salinity: 1.026 SG
Alk: 7kh
ph: 8.2
Ammonia/Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2
Calc: 430
Mag: 1640
Phos: 0.2

Last edited:

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light do you have? Was the light on for the whole 9 months, the rocks look a little white. Good news is mouth isn’t gaping maybe it’s recovering from bacterial infection? Or possibly lights aren’t strong enough , I would let it be and just monitor if it gets worse

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light do you have? Was the light on for the whole 9 months, the rocks look a little white. Good news is mouth isn’t gaping maybe it’s recovering from bacterial infection? Or possibly lights aren’t strong enough , I would let it be and just monitor if it gets worse
The lights are fluval marine 3.0 the one that comes with the 32.5 saltwater, I also purchased an extra one that is runnign with it, I've only had the second light for about 2 months. The lights are 42 watts each.

SenorCappuccino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a little upset. Does not look cause for concern though. It looks a little deflated which isn't the end of the world but keep CLOSE eye if it starts to shrivel.

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a little upset. Does not look cause for concern though. It looks a little deflated which isn't the end of the world but keep CLOSE eye if it starts to shrivel.
It's been like this for around 2 months. It shrivels and then goes back to normal every day. I hear this is how they expel waste. It does look like it "poops" when it does it.

SenorCappuccino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been like this for around 2 months. It shrivels and then goes back to normal every day. I hear this is how they expel waste. It does look like it "poops" when it does it.
Okay understood. I can't comment too much further, i've only had one my entire life. Just make sure to watch it and remove it from your tank before it dies and everything else goes with it. They "nuke" the tank most of the time when they die.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights are fluval marine 3.0 the one that comes with the 32.5 saltwater, I also purchased an extra one that is runnign with it, I've only had the second light for about 2 months. The lights are 42 watts each.
I think it may be the lights causing issues, at 12 inches deep the par for the light reads 102 in the center , unless the anemone is near the top of tank it may not be getting enough light , I’d recommend purchasing a stronger light , may I recommend orphek OR3 bars

Attachments

• EE3389A1-0203-46EB-974F-B0077F0FE1A6.jpeg
    EE3389A1-0203-46EB-974F-B0077F0FE1A6.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it may be the lights causing issues, at 12 inches deep the par for the light reads 102 in the center , unless the anemone is near the top of tank it may not be getting enough light , I’d recommend purchasing a stronger light , may I recommend orphek OR3 bars
Does it make a difference that I have 2 of the lights right next to each other or does PAR not work like that?

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been set up and running. Your rocks are very white and look new.

99problemsandatankisone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a green BTA that looks very similar/behaves similar to what you are describing here. I have also had it about two months and have no idea what it is doing, refuses to bubble or even look happy most of the time. Yet 3 feet away is an orange bta that could not look better with great signs of growth, color and bubble. I’d love to hear what others know about this.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a green BTA that looks very similar/behaves similar to what you are describing here. I have also had it about two months and have no idea what it is doing, refuses to bubble or even look happy most of the time. Yet 3 feet away is an orange bta that could not look better with great signs of growth, color and bubble. I’d love to hear what others know about this.
cipro treatment for you most likely but we dont have info about your tank.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with others about OP light, is probably too weak and tank too new. Fluval lights suck for light output

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry got it now, trying to find par outputs of these from other members. They should be fine it just seems weird the lights havent grown much coraline or other types of algae on your rocks yet, how old is this tank? I personally wouldnt ever use fluval lights as they are not a good lighting company like kessil or ecotech. 1 Orphek Or3 bar would blow both the leds out of the water for both light output and spectrum.

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry got it now, trying to find par outputs of these from other members. They should be fine it just seems weird the lights havent grown much coraline or other types of algae on your rocks yet, how old is this tank? I personally wouldnt ever use fluval lights as they are not a good lighting company like kessil or ecotech. 1 Orphek Or3 bar would blow both the leds out of the water for both light output and spectrum.
It's hard to find the output for these lights as the ones that come with the tank are not the same as the one they package separately. If I knew about the Orphek Or3, I would have purchased one before buying the second light, however I don't know if that light would fit under the lid, and I'm not sure I want to remove the lid just yet. Some others that have the tank have said that the light is basically the same as the Current USA Orbit Marine of the same size.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back