Does this happen to you when operating your protein skimmer?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can have my protein pump dialed in and working perfectly. Then suddenly and without explanation, the cup will become flooded with water.

Is it because debris is getting into the inlet of the air hose?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be an additive to the tank that is making your skimmer go crazy.

The only time my skimmer overflows is when I continue to postpone emptying it and it pushes what was collected back into the tank. That usually has a cascading effect that makes the skimmer go even crazier.

The other is when the water level in which the skimmer sits fluctuates to the point that the pump has an easier time pushing water, thus raising the water lever inside the skimmer. If it gets too high it will begin to overflow.

3 things you can do to prevent this.

1 know what you're adding to the tank and how it effects the skimmer

2 empty your skimmer cup often

3 ensure that the water level that the skimmer sits in doesn't fluctuate

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this issue when there is a power outage. Water drains into the sump and so skimmer chamber is much higher than usual. When power comes back on, skimmer then overflows since water level is higher. This in turn causes my ATO to kick on since I’m lowering the water level by pumping it out through the skimmer. I can manage if I’m home but if not it can become an issue. Any tips on how to prevent this?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on how to prevent this?
Two ways.
You could run your skimmer through a water level switch so it shuts off when the sump level gets too high.
or
You can get a device made specifically for your situation. This one is from BRS, you could DIY the same thing, but I think you'd end up paying more.
Plug it into the wall, plug the skimmer into it. When it's powered up, it waits X minutes before sending power to the skimmer (or whatever is plugged into it).

One other option is to get a float switch for the skimmer cup (or a skimmer with one built in). It won't stop it from filling up when something goes wrong, but it'll shut the skimmer down when it happens so it doesn't keep going and going and going.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two ways.
You could run your skimmer through a water level switch so it shuts off when the sump level gets too high.
or
You can get a device made specifically for your situation. This one is from BRS, you could DIY the same thing, but I think you'd end up paying more.
Plug it into the wall, plug the skimmer into it. When it's powered up, it waits X minutes before sending power to the skimmer (or whatever is plugged into it).

One other option is to get a float switch for the skimmer cup (or a skimmer with one built in). It won't stop it from filling up when something goes wrong, but it'll shut the skimmer down when it happens so it doesn't keep going and going and going.
Thanks for the tips.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be an additive to the tank that is making your skimmer go crazy.

The only time my skimmer overflows is when I continue to postpone emptying it and it pushes what was collected back into the tank. That usually has a cascading effect that makes the skimmer go even crazier.

The other is when the water level in which the skimmer sits fluctuates to the point that the pump has an easier time pushing water, thus raising the water lever inside the skimmer. If it gets too high it will begin to overflow.

3 things you can do to prevent this.

1 know what you're adding to the tank and how it effects the skimmer

2 empty your skimmer cup often

3 ensure that the water level that the skimmer sits in doesn't fluctuate

I do not add anything to my tank and currently rely on water changes for supplementation.

I don't understand; how does delaying emptying the collection cup allow for it to be pushed back into the tank?

I'm running an ATO. Based on my salinity, I'd say the water level is consistent.

Although... you just made me think of something... I'll get back to you.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand; how does delaying emptying the collection cup allow for it to be pushed back into the tank?
I wrestled with how to convey this and didn't do a good job explaining it.

When your collection cup can't hold anymore skimmate, doesn't mean that your skimmer isn't going to keep trying. When it does, all that concentrated skimmate slowly gets put back into circulation which in turn makes your skimmer overflow. What was once dark skimmate in the cup is now clear saltwater.

I'm running an ATO. Based on my salinity, I'd say the water level is consistent
Normally, you don't want to have your skimmer in the return section of your sump.

Depending on what skimmer you have, slight fluctuations in water level will definitely make your skimmer overflow.

I don't know what you use for an ato, and what the tolerances are for turning it on and off, if you have it in the same section there's a good possibility that's your problem, or at least contributing to the problem.

The best place for the skimmer is a section that is baffled in such a way that evaporation doesn't effect the water level in that section.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back