Water Change with Split Sump

Tobin VP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on putting in a split sump. My DT will drain into Sump A and then flow into Sump B (through a submerged line) and then return to tank. I'm also putting in a bypass so that I can easily drain to sump B so that I can take sump A offline for cleaning etc. Sump A will contain a ReefMat and a protein skimmer. Sump B will contain a refugium, probes, dosing, and return pump. I know that there is much debate/trade off about protein skimmer before or after refuguim. I have designed so that I can implement either configuration.

It struck me that I could possibly perform water changes with this configuration without having to take return pump offline. I could bypass Sump A, then empty/refill it, and then bring it back online. Does anyone see any down side to doing this?

A couple of things I thought of:

1. My overflow could gurgle and/or be imbalanced during the bypass period since it would be draining direct rather than through ReefMat, but once Sump A is brought back online it seems as it should return stable to its former operation.

2. It's a fairly rapid introduction of new salt water into the system since the bypass would be taken away suddenly. So new water would be in contact with livestock suddenly before full mixing in the system occurred. This doesn't seem to be a huge issue unless I had maybe had drastically different temperature, salinity or alkalinity between the new water and the existing - but it would be fairly momentary - and I anticipate always having similar parameters.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it'll be an issue. The water will still mix in sump b and the incoming water from tank will mix also. Ive done so many water changes I have never had an issue. In my past reef life I had 3 100g stock tanks for the sump I'd turn a valve draining 2 of them. Then turn another refilling them both. Turn return pump back on all new water straight to displays. No issues, I heated my holding bin and check sg before.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back