Does this look like the basic equipment needed to start a tank?

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DISCLAIMER: I just started doing research and am no where near close to getting a tank. This is just a list I made of what I think I would need.
Question: do I need Live rock that is alive or will the dry stuff work? It would save me a ton if I didn’t have to buy the already alive stuff

3EC59EDE-B83F-442C-9E6B-2C39F2B882DE.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock will work. You need to cycle it (Biospira and ammonia source) to make it live before adding livestock.
The list looks good however im old so i might have missed something. I think the biocube comes with filter media but im not sure.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DISCLAIMER: I just started doing research and am no where near close to getting a tank. This is just a list I made of what I think I would need.
Question: do I need Live rock that is alive or will the dry stuff work? It would save me a ton if I didn’t have to buy the already alive stuff

3EC59EDE-B83F-442C-9E6B-2C39F2B882DE.png
Looks like a good start.
Does the BioCube come with a light?
Might consider tunze 3152 ato

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good start.
Does the BioCube come with a light?
Might consider tunze 3152 ato
Yes it comes with a light. It’s supposedly like a light for low tech corals. Not sure if low tech is a term but in saltwater it means easy plants that don’t require high light and co2. I just want some basic corals and then maybe I would work on some hard to keep ones with a light upgrade. Is an ato needed with the biocube?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it comes with a light. It’s supposedly like a light for low tech corals. Not sure if low tech is a term but in saltwater it means easy plants that don’t require high light and co2. I just want some basic corals and then maybe I would work on some hard to keep ones with a light upgrade. Is an ato needed with the biocube?
Ato is a $99 item that refills evaporated water so you dont have to.
Almost all get one eventually.

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ato is a $99 item that refills evaporated water so you dont have to.
Almost all get one eventually.
Since the biocube has a tight fitting lid wouldn’t the water not evaporate that much? I would do a 5 gallon water change every week if that matters

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the biocube has a tight fitting lid wouldn’t the water not evaporate that much? I would do a 5 gallon water change every week if that matters
I would not advise a tight fitting lid since you want to promote gas exchage air to water.
If you replenish evaporated water at the water change, using salt water, the tank salinity will increase. You'll have to adjust for this.

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not advise a tight fitting lid since you want to promote gas exchage air to water.
If you replenish evaporated water at the water change, using salt water, the tank salinity will increase. You'll have to adjust for this.
No the biocube comes with a lid so it’s not like it’s an open top

SPitts6654

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the RO buddy DI as well? If not, that’s something you may want to look into. When I got my first RO system and stopped getting RODI from the LFS, I didn’t have DI and my tank started going down hill quickly. Once I got DI, it started to slowly recover. You could always just buy RODI and SW from your LFS while you’re getting started.

If you are going to mix SW, you’ll need a pump and bucket.

If you can afford it, I would get something better than the API test kit.

SPitts6654

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you say I need it?

Need, no, you don’t unless you’re going to spend a lot of time away from the tank and won’t be able to top it off. If that’s not the case, save the money for now and if you find you want to add it later for convenience, then get it. If you do, you’ll also need a container to hold the top off water.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to couple changes in your list:
  • Not ro buddie, get a used big rodi system. The filter refill will be more expensive with RO buddie. With the big rodi system, it can come with TDS meter, so you don't need to buy a handheld one.
  • Live sand and live rock helps. But you can start with dry on both. Lots of successful reefers did.
  • Dont get API test kit... Get anything else beside API.
BTW are you set on biocube too? There other AIO that might be better suited for future upgrade.

SPitts6654

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Not ro buddie, get a used big rodi system. The filter refill will be more expensive with RO buddie. With the big rodi system, it can come with TDS meter, so you don't need to buy a handheld one.
  • Live sand and live rock helps. But you can start with dry on both. Lots of successful reefers did.
BTW are you set on biocube too? There other AIO that might be better suited for future upgrade.
Good point on the Biocube, I quickly fell out of love with mine and wished I would have gone with a more traditional open top AIO. That said if you go with an AOI, you’ll probably spend a little more because you’ll have to get lighting.

You can get a Waterbox Peninsula 25 for $250, if you can find one in stock.

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much evaporated in the course of a week?
Couldn't tell you for sure but maybe 2 gallons. I ultimately decided to ditch the top and went with a better light. I like the suggestions of doing something other than the biocube. I really like my innovative marine nuvo 30L. Everyone always says they are gonna start with easy corals and then almost always go into more difficult/need more light corals. So starting with a quality light that can cover anything you want will save you money down the road.

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not ro buddie? I would be making 5-10 gallons a week. Why is the api test kit bad? The freshwater one is the standard.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not ro buddie? I would be making 5-10 gallons a week. Why is the api test kit bad? The freshwater one is the standard.

RO Buddie don't give you the flexibility of upgrading. Depending on your water source, you might need 2 filters. And I think their filters are proprietary. You can only get their brand. I might be wrong on that. In the long run, it's always better with the regular RODI system.

If you already have the API freshwater test kit, you don't actually need to buy the saltwater one. You can use the same thing.
There is someone in youtube that tested them.
My ammonia is still showing 0.75 with API. But it's 0 with Salifert.
If I didn't have the freshwater API, I would have bought RedSea Marine Test kit

SPitts6654

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your just doing fish only, you can probably get by with the RO Buddy and API. If you’re going to get corals other than maybe some zoas, gsp, or other low light softies that don’t mind less than stellar water quality, I’d get an RODI and a better test kit for at least the big 3 (Alk, Ca and Mg).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back