Does this look like the basic equipment needed to start a tank?

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So the stock lighting is good for some easy corals? Could I add some snails after a week to get the cycle going even after I add bacteria? I want a pair of clowns so how long after would you add them? Does this list look like a good starting point?

Yes, the stock lights are fine for LPS and soft corals.

I would not add snails until the cycle is complete. Most inverts are sensitive to nitrates, so they would not last long. Plus, there should not be much algae in your tank during the cycle if you keep your lights off, which is generally recommended.

Just so you are prepared, you will have some crazy algae growing once you turn on the lights after the cycle. You should expect to see a little bit of everything. Just keep up with the weekly water changes, remove as much as you can manually and start to add your Clean Up Crew (CUC) of snails/crabs/urchin, etc. The algae issues will fade away eventually.

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the discussion so far it seems you don't know much yet(which is ok). You need to spend some time reading the basics and understanding how everything works. There are many different ways you can go about this hobby and be successful. My suggestion would be to set a goal for this tank and then figure out what your needs are, a good rodi is basic equipment that you will continue to use as you upgrade, you won't be sorry. As far as other equipment it all depends on your goal and your preferences, buy the best you can afford or save up and you will do better.

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the discussion so far it seems you don't know much yet(which is ok). You need to spend some time reading the basics and understanding how everything works. There are many different ways you can go about this hobby and be successful. My suggestion would be to set a goal for this tank and then figure out what your needs are, a good rodi is basic equipment that you will continue to use as you upgrade, you won't be sorry. As far as other equipment it all depends on your goal and your preferences, buy the best you can afford or save up and you will do better.
That’s why I said I don’t know much but this is the stuff that I think I will need

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, what I'm saying is come up with a plan for your tank and we can provide more guidance. Ultimate goal? Will you end up dosing? Doing sps? Softies? Lps?
For fish I just want to keep a pair of clowns, royal gramma, and other community fish. I want invertebrates like snails and shrimp too as a cleanup crew. After my fish are doing well, or when I add fish I want to get some easy coral. Which ones are easy? Someone mentioned above some corals that do great with the stock biocube light so that’s my basic goal. I think they said lps and soft corals. Eventually I want it to look like a rainbow with a bunch of different textures. All easy corals of course

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back