Does water draw location matter for testing?

mmorrison55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2024
Messages
1,858
Reaction score
1,547
Location
Tampa
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When running local salifert or Hannah type tests and drawing water to ship off for icp testing, does it matter where it’s taken from (main display, refugium, sump return pump area, or any other area of the sump.)
 
No, it should not matter noticeably unless dosing is going on or just before sample draw.
 
I likely would be drawing from just past my fleece roller. I have a new sump that is deeper than the old one and has chambers going from front to back, with the back chamber bing the return pump area.

I typically would draw from the return pump chamber in my old sump.

So the new draw area would be just after the display empty’s into the sump, or even the refugium area next to it and the skimmer section.

And this difference got me to thinking if I needed to change and just start drawing from the main display in the next room.
 
I'm assuming the OP is automating, otherwise pulling from the display is probably what would be done.

When I automated ALK testing I pulled from right before the return chamber and it worked well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new