Does your LFS quarantine their fishes?

Taiko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering if anyone's lfs quarantines their fishes and if there are, what's their quarantine process?I've always been curious because of the amount of fishes some get and wonder how big of a quarantine or the process they do.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a large city and none of the major Aquarium Stores quarentine. Reason being is that they get hundereds of fish and inverts in on their delivery day. I usualy try and go on the day that they get their stock in for dib's on the good stuff and they just dump the fish straight in their displays. I guess they depend on their suppliers to deliver healthy stock. These well established stores have been around for 20 plus years and i have never battled ich on any other disease's when buying from them.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in good ol' Louisiana, and I know of two LFS who quarantine in the state.

One runs their fish thru 2 weeks of copper. They also buy from wholesalers who QT prior to shipping.

The other LFS I'm more familiar with because I've advised them on their QT strategy. They treat with Chloroquine phosphate for 10 days, and then the fish are moved to a second QT system where they are dewormed using API General Cure. The fish are observed for bacterial infections and are treated with antibiotics, if needed.

As great as all that sounds, the only QT I trust is still my own. :wink:

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one near me that does, all the fish have a markup as well once in their displays. I just do it myself and don't worry about relying on lfs to do so. Trying to get items directly out of vendor bags on delivery day is always a bonus.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. They barely take care of them. Totally disgusted with this store. He hires cheap, pt employees who have no knowledge of SW at all. Dead fish, starving fish, tanks loaded with flat worms, loaded with cyano, GHA and some algae's I can't even identify.
I've known the owner for 21yrs, even worked for him in his earlier years. So saddened to see his SW decline like it has.
Sorry for the rant :(

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. They barely take care of them. Totally disgusted with this store. He hires cheap, pt employees who have no knowledge of SW at all. Dead fish, starving fish, tanks loaded with flat worms, loaded with cyano, GHA and some algae's I can't even identify.
I've known the owner for 21yrs, even worked for him in his earlier years. So saddened to see his SW decline like it has.
Sorry for the rant :(
Thats how 3 out of every 5 places I go seem to be, unfortunately with sw.. The shop is only as good as the knowledge held by employees and most places even sw only places right along with the big chains don't hire quality informative help.. And the fish and tanks suffer and look like poo!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats how 3 out of every 5 places I go seem to be, unfortunately with sw.. The shop is only as good as the knowledge held by employees and most places even sw only places right along with the big chains don't hire quality informative help.. And the fish and tanks suffer and look like poo!

^^This, along with price, is why more & more are just shopping online. Walking into a LFS nowadays can be an infuriating experience. :sad:

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they did, I'd still quarantine fish purchased from them myself. I don't trust anyone else to QT...too much risk.

bneufelder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of stores order late in the week so they don't have as many losses before the weekend rush. It would be great if they all QT but the cost would be 3-4x as much and you would still want to do it yourself. I've ran fish through 6 week QTs and still introduced ich. Now I just manage it via feeding heavy if I see an outbreak.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back