Doing the dirty work: Have you used filter rollers with your reef?

Have you used filter rollers with your reef?

• I current use a filter roller with my reef

Votes: 199 32.9%
  • I have used a filter roller on my reef

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • I plan to use a filter roller on my reef in the future

Votes: 122 20.2%
  • I have no plans to use a filter roller on my reef

Votes: 254 42.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 2.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doing the dirty work: Have you used filter rollers with your reef?

One of the major filtration questions for a reef tank was filter socks or no filter socks. With the introduction of filter rollers there is another significant option for mechanical waste removal. At first there were some challenges with the rolls quickly being used up, however over time some of these filter rollers have received raving reviews. Have you ever used filter rollers and what has been your experience? Do you have a brand, size, or style preference? Do you have any tips or thoughts to share? Please let us know your experience with filter rollers in the discussion thread that follows.

BBLinks_FilterRoller.jpeg

Photo by @BBLINKS

sump.jpg

@EAZi_Coral

Last edited by a moderator:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I used the Klir-4 when it first came out. It was very temporary as at the time I had a trigger sump and it was impossible to get this to fit in the sump so I went with an algae scrubber and have utilized filter socks once again

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Klir-4 with my first fish tank. I switched from mesh socks to the Klir and honestly it did TOO good of a job. I was a very new reefer at the time and thought they were cool. Unfortunately between that and the algae scrubber I installed I gave myself such a bad outbreak of dino's that I ended up dismantling that tank after nuking all my corals trying to deal with the dinos. IM looks to be making a manual filter roller cartridge for their AIO's, so I'll probably pick one up, but I'll be a lot more careful about nutrients than in the past.

tee89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a reef mat 1200 love it. One roll Lasts 2 months for me. Costly for sure but I guess it's the premium to save on time and effort. Another issue I'm experiencing are low nutrients and this is due to the roller removing food particles and waste immediately which means there's nothing cooking the water to release some nutrients.

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger system sump with the 8" mat built in. Lasts me about 2 months. When I compare results vs cost it's a no brainer situation. To take one more task out of the mix is gold to me.

You have to check it and make sure the floats aren't getting hung up ect but that's part of my husbandry. Rinsing filter socks is fine if you like doing it. Personally just throwing out a roll of toilet paper and reloading is the more effective efficient way for me.

10/10 recommended if your doing this hobby on your own (no paid help )

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brand new 140g display with 35g sump and I put a Reefmat 1200 in it but have yet to put a roll on it. The tank is just to new I think but I wanted to get everything setup and arranged down there so I could be sure everything would fit. So it's just sitting in there, turned off, no roll but I am excited about having it.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go back and forth on that.
mostly I do not have a sump so odds are reduced on getting the roller matt.
This is what I currently use...

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an first generation klir-4", its in the spare stuff pile. I currently use bubble magus rollers on both of my tanks and my dads. Best thing I've done, between the apex, auto feeder and the filter roller, I can go 14 days without touching the tank (glass scraping excluded).

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one month into a Clarisea 5k gen 3. I'm just blown away by the ease of use and zero maintenance. The rolls are crazy dirty and i would never go back to socks/no socks strategy.

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I actually use the Bubble Master version. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it works well and has smaller footprint than most other rollers. I normally can get 2 months out of roll and it run me $16. So the price point works for me.

spectral_ranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving my ReefMat 500. Long story, but had my Apex base unit go bad, so was running my display and sump separately (circulation, heaters, etc.) til it got dealt with. After a week, the water in display was noticeably cloudier, and corals not opening up as much. After getting base unit replaced and getting system going through the roller again, it cleared up within hours and corals were much happier. A lot of other variables in play, but I think roller was the biggest factor. I do worry about how many pods it strips out and all, though... I tried running roller on an every other day basis through the Apex, but the changing water level in the sump and all messed with the overflow and it was just a hassle, so went back to 24/7 roller.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back