Domino hosting anemoneanemone

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brian wea
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Brian wea

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 14, 2015
Messages
167
Reaction score
26
Location
Ocala Fl.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160223_194945.jpg
20160223_194357.jpg
strange? Uncommon? Unusual?
 
I thought that was a clownfish job
As far as I know if the anemone isn't eating it, you're fine. Also, domino damsels have symbiotic relationships with anemones.

The anemones is a living invert that is able to feed off of micro-bacteria and nutrients, an option of obtaining these nutrients is by fish rubbing in the tentacles. Just in the same way cleaner wrasse clean all kinds of fish, not just tangs.

Wikipedia article for domino damsels if you're interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threespot_dascyllus
 
I wouldn't say it is common but, I believe that most damsels have the same protective coat as clowns, which are in the same family. the difference between the two are their habitats in nature. clowns live in anenomes and damsels prefer to have a cave to dart into at the first sign of danger, and sleep in coral colonies a lot of the time :-)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new