Don’t suck!

BuildsWithB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today marks my 1week into reefing lol. A long and slow path but it will pay off with the results I am aiming for. I am cycling dry rock in a brute trash can. For a week I’ve been dosing microbacter7. Today I conducted a 50% water change. I took the liberty of buying a submersible pump/power head (cobalt mj600). I bought it for the sole purpose of doing water changes and figured I would toss it in my can along with my power head and therm. It make light work of removing 5 gallons of water from my brute into a bucket. I also used it to siphon fresh saltwater into the brute and the waste down the drain. All that fuss I hear about water changes. That was easy! I also does 2 ml of quilcycl per my volume of water (10gal). I went to Walgreens and they gave me a fluid syringe so I could measure accurately. Didn’t cost me a dime. I will do another water change on Saturday and pick up some more water on Friday. I’m lucky WWC is my LFS. I can get double points if I shop from 1-3pm. I love that place. There are a few other LFSs near me but I enjoy the staff, service, and knowledge of the guys there. I’ll post another update this weekend.
I bought some test strips but to be honest they aren’t that great. My girlfriend bought them for me, which was a nice gesture but, they don’t test for phosphates. I plan on pulling the trigger on a full set of Hanna checkers. Will be ordering Friday when I get paid. That’s all for now and stay tuned

34B0B3C9-B13A-4525-AA94-52306A1D1FD6.jpeg

OP
OP
BuildsWithB

BuildsWithB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! And remember not to rush the process. Nothing good results from cutting corners.
Thank you! I have nothing but time. Still researching and gathering supplies. It’ll be like this for a several months.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome46.gif

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
toss a pinch of flake or pellet feed in there, wait 20 days, take out the rocks and they're cycled. handy timing based cycle. that bottle bac gets it ready far quicker, that's with the extra safe wait time. you would not have to test a single parameter to cycle those rocks, a booster plus feed plus twenty days works based on every cycling chart we can google. its nice to know that cycling has a terminable date, a start date, a can-go date, and that date for you is twenty days in the current condition, flake fed a few times per Dr Reefs testing in his bottle bac thread. all the aquariums at marine conventions all start on the same date based on this timing principle of established bac vs bottle bac. reef cycles do not have to vary in time, they can all start at the same time when there is sufficient motivation. thats very new information about cycling, debatable to many but time will tell. welcome to reefing!

here's a mb7 cycling thread, we've dosed the carbon source w the feed above. you can ammonia test your water before use, for proof of readiness.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuildsWithB

BuildsWithB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
toss a pinch of flake or pellet feed in there, wait 20 days, take out the rocks and they're cycled. handy timing based cycle. that bottle bac gets it ready far quicker, that's with the extra safe wait time. you would not have to test a single parameter to cycle those rocks, a booster plus feed plus twenty days works based on every cycling chart we can google. its nice to know that cycling has a terminable date, a start date, a can-go date, and that date for you is twenty days in the current condition, flake fed a few times per Dr Reefs testing in his bottle bac thread. all the aquariums at marine conventions all start on the same date based on this timing principle of established bac vs bottle bac. reef cycles do not have to vary in time, they can all start at the same time when there is sufficient motivation. thats very new information about cycling, debatable to many but time will tell. welcome to reefing!
A lot of good info and awesome vibes from the community. I’m excited to get started! In all the research I’ve done thus far, cycling of rock, is definitely a controversial topic. I’ve Ben using the microbacter7 for a little over a week. I also dosed 2ml of ammonia. I’m researching a ton and looking to invest in a testing kit. Looking at tropic marin’s testing kit and new hydrometer as well as a secondary option, probably hanna and a refractometer. Till then I will follow the bottles instructions and start ghost feeding it soon to ensure it’s cycled. I have a few months before I get all the things I need to ensure a successful cycling and healthy ecosystem for its inhabitants.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back