Salt Mix High PH

mac1284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I seem to be having a bit of problem with my new tank. Just finished a month cycle no fish yet did a few water changes tank is clear and no sign of uglies. Only problem is when testing with the Hanna marine master it reads a PH of 8.6 and flashes. I have a skimmer running 24/7 and power heads with surface agitation.

I tested a new batch of saltwater and it also reads 8.6 flashing ( tested RODI and reads 6.7)
I am using Waterbox’s Reef salt. Mixing in a brute bin with heater and pump. Any suggestions on a course to follow?

Current parameters attached

Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 17
IMG_2347.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH 8.6 in a fresh batch of salt is not a problem :) I test 8.5-8.6 when I mix my Aquaforst Reef Salt as well. Tank runs nicely at about 8.3 most of the time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High pH (>8.6) in the absence of dosing high pH alk additives is nearly always test error, and when it is not, it is lack of sufficient aeration or excessive alkalinity. In this case, It is likely test error.

Try recalibrating the pH meter.

The pH of RO/DI water is meaningless when using a normal pH meter because it cannot read the values correctly..

OP
OP
M

mac1284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High pH (>8.6) in the absence of dosing high pH alk additives is nearly always test error, and when it is not, it is lack of sufficient aeration or excessive alkalinity. In this case, It is likely test error.

Try recalibrating the pH meter.

The pH of RO/DI water is meaningless when using a normal pH meter because it cannot read the values correctly..
interesting thank you! I put a airstone in the bin over night tested it this morning and same maxed out values on the Hanna marine master. I will have to try and find the appropriate cal solution for my meter.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting thank you! I put a airstone in the bin over night tested it this morning and same maxed out values on the Hanna marine master. I will have to try and find the appropriate cal solution for my meter.

Definitely. pH meters need calibration even when new.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back