Dont Scratch the Glass!!!

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I just got a red sea reefer 350 G2 and ive been doing research on a good magnet algae scrubber, I have seen a lot of good reviews on the Tunze and I picked one up going to be trying it on my old tank before it even touches the new one, but do you guys recommend any other ones that wont scratch the glass, because if I scratch the glass Im gonna throw myself in the ocean lol kidding but not really

This is the Tunze Model I purchased : www.amazon.com/Tunze-Care-Magnet-Long-Booster/dp/B08FBZTSF9/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1HCQJVBHXUBL5&keywords=tunze+algae+scraper&qid=1680635932&sprefix=tunze+al%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-5

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I just got a red sea reefer 350 G2 and ive been doing research on a good magnet algae scrubber, I have seen a lot of good reviews on the Tunze and I picked one up going to be trying it on my old tank before it even touches the new one, but do you guys recommend any other ones that wont scratch the glass, because if I scratch the glass Im gonna throw myself in the ocean lol kidding but not really

This is the Tunze Model I purchased : www.amazon.com/Tunze-Care-Magnet-Long-Booster/dp/B08FBZTSF9/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1HCQJVBHXUBL5&keywords=tunze+algae+scraper&qid=1680635932&sprefix=tunze+al%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-5
They all will scratch the glass. Even if they advertise it not to.

Use these if you want to be sure not to pickup sand grains in a magnet cleaner.

037000238225.jpg
b1adb6e5-216a-44c8-9691-2ab54cc42c93_1.ab876ac799fd6f5e9f9f5c501835566f.jpg

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a risk every time you use any magnet scraper because the problem isn't the scraper itself usually. It's the grain of dust that's harder than the glass that finds it's way between the scraper blade and the panel, combined with the technique that's used that causes the scratch. This is why I make TINY back and forth movements only with my magnet scraper rather than wide sweeping motions. You want to do your best to dislodge any dust grains from the blade surface by making tiny movements. It will also reveal an issue before it becomes a major and very noticeable issue. Always start in a not so visible corner of the tank.

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I used flipper max scrapers with the metal blades in my 210 gallon glass tank. First one I bought scratched the glass, so I bought a replacement blade for it. It also scratched the glass.
Flipper even sent me a new magnet set, and it also scratched the glass. Three new sets of blades scratched the glass.
The scratches were at the top, 20 inches above the sand. It had to be the blades and there were no sand particles involved.
Every time I used it I would take it out of the tank and rinse it off with fresh water. I don't like seeing scrapers left in the tank, but that is personal preference.
I just ordered a brand new Planet Aquariums 215 gallon tank, and I ordered a Tunze scraper to use in it.
I won't know if it is safer than the flipper max for a month or so, but we shall see.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I used flipper max scrapers with the metal blades in my 210 gallon glass tank. First one I bought scratched the glass, so I bought a replacement blade for it. It also scratched the glass.
Flipper even sent me a new magnet set, and it also scratched the glass. Three new sets of blades scratched the glass.
The scratches were at the top, 20 inches above the sand. It had to be the blades and there were no sand particles involved.
Every time I used it I would take it out of the tank and rinse it off with fresh water. I don't like seeing scrapers left in the tank, but that is personal preference.
I just ordered a brand new Planet Aquariums 215 gallon tank, and I ordered a Tunze scraper to use in it.
I won't know if it is safer than the flipper max for a month or so, but we shall see.
I had the same experience with flippers. Got a scratch near the top of the tank with sand no where near. I switched to tunze and haven't had any issues in the 1~2 years

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Tunze, and I sometimes use a razor or similar blade for hard to remove algae.
As others have said, just go slow and check ofter to make sure your scraper hasn't picked up any sand or other abrasive material.

OP
OP
A

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all will scratch the glass. Even if they advertise it not to.

Use these if you want to be sure not to pickup sand grains in a magnet cleaner.

037000238225.jpg
b1adb6e5-216a-44c8-9691-2ab54cc42c93_1.ab876ac799fd6f5e9f9f5c501835566f.jpg
Thanks ive also seen a lot of ppl recommending the Mr clean erasers, I might give that a try especially of the sponge is soft to limit the scratching

OP
OP
A

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang sorry to hear that and yea I wouldnt be able to replace the red sea reefer if any major scratches happen gonna have to live with them :( lol but hopefully all goes well with the Tunze

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ive also seen a lot of ppl recommending the Mr clean erasers, I might give that a try especially of the sponge is soft to limit the scratching
Its great for everything except coraline and that stubborn green glass algae. The kent scraper picks up its slack though.

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to spend extra on the name brand magic erasers. The generic stuff comes a lot cheaper.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People love the tunze. I’ve been happy with flipper over the years. That said I rub my finger across any new blade before I use it. I did get a package of replacement blades years ago and all of them had burrs that would for sure have scratched glass. I can’t think of the name but the long white plastic handled scraper with the blue insert for acrylic tanks worked well when I had an acrylic tank but the metal replacement blades for glass tanks I do not trust at all as they are very thin, wavy and have sharp corners. As everyone else said, sand will do what sand does no matter what you use! Also only go blade perpendicular to direction of travel…never mind I can’t describe it right, basically snowplow not ice skate if that makes sense. One nice thing about the flipper is that it has little nubs to keep you from going too deep into a seal, great when you’re blind as a bat! I’m not sure if tunze has these, but it’s worth checking out.

starpilot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did all the research on fish and corals and parameters but didn’t think I needed to do the same with a bloody algae magnet… just to learn the tricks I now know at stopping them scratching the glass so my flipper ( and my flawed knowledge and bad use) scratched the hell out of my glass… so incredibly frustrating. Luckily you can’t see them from afar but I see them everyday and curse myself. am going to buy a Tunze model and try it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back