Don't use pump heads from two different Neptune Dos pumps for continuous automatic water changes

  • Thread starter Thread starter ScottF
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ScottF

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 3, 2024
Messages
715
Reaction score
346
Location
Miami
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one of my Neptune Dos pumps doing continuous water changes. The left pump head brings in fresh saltwater from a 200gal holding tank in my garage. The right pump head pumps tank water down the drain.

One day I noticed that I needed to replace the pump head on the right pump because I couldn't get it calibrated anymore. So I moved the outgoing wastewater to a different Neptune Dos pump so I could continue my water changes while I ordered a new pump head.

Everything has been fine for weeks with water changes running on heads from two different Dos units. I had received the replacement pump head and started using that one for kalkwasser. Yesterday I noticed in Fusion that there was a notification that a module was missing. The Dos that was pumping fresh saltwater in along with kalkwasser hadn't been running for about 5 hours. My waste water pump had still been running it's normal schedule during this time.

Luckily I'm only doing about 5gal per day of water changes at the moment and I caught it before it completely drained my return pump chamber. I power cycled my Apex and the pump came back online. I'm not sure why it was "missing".

Anyway, I'm now going to move the wastewater back to the same Dos unit as the fresh saltwater in case this happens again.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new