Donut coral losing colour.

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have three nice donut corals that used to look very nice and doing so good. I never attempt direct feeding before as they were located in a spot where the pallets I feed the fish falls directly into them.

Then I had to increase the intensity of my light and then started to see them bleaching. So I had to move them to a shaded area hoping that they will recover. But they did not.

I move them back to their original place because I think now they will not recover their color because like of nutrition.

So I am asking which one is the reason? Strong light or lack of nutrition?

What do you advice?

20200511_190158.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tend to like lower light and flow. Sounds like you are working on that. Also feedings after lights out usually. I would start with mysis first and move up to clam similar. They are pretty. I hope they pull through okay.
I had an Acanthephyllia that was big and beautiful then another coral fell on it overnight and destroyed half of it. I kept that half for years after, but in all my tank moves, it finally gave up the ghost. More from my lack of focus, so work at it and they will come back.

OP
OP
Ali-F

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tend to like lower light and flow. Sounds like you are working on that. Also feedings after lights out usually. I would start with mysis first and move up to clam similar. They are pretty. I hope they pull through okay.
I had an Acanthephyllia that was big and beautiful then another coral fell on it overnight and destroyed half of it. I kept that half for years after, but in all my tank moves, it finally gave up the ghost. More from my lack of focus, so work at it and they will come back.

Thanks for your encouraging words.

I started spot feeding 3 days ago. I am mixing mysis and reefroids with water tank and feed them.

I am planning to do this on a daily basis for a week or two. Then if I see a good sign, I'll reduce the amount to every other day until I do it twice a week.

And sorry for your lose. I hate when such incidents happens.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan. If you can cover them somewhat to keep food near them, that is good. Just do not get them overloaded. They look pretty good. Should recover with care.

OP
OP
Ali-F

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan. If you can cover them somewhat to keep food near them, that is good. Just do not get them overloaded. They look pretty good. Should recover with care.

I turn off the wave makers during the feeding session so the currents won't blow the food away. But the fish race to eat the mysis too. I was worried at first but I think this will make sure there is no left over in the tank.

I might delay the feeding time until 10min before the lights turn off.

So it least both fish and the corals will have their share.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back