DOS AWC programming questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!:wavehand:

Question for everyone, I am installing my DOS to do auto water changes, about 2 gallons a day. But I have some programming questions to see if my desired set up can work. So here are a few things about my set up.
1)I live in a 1 level apartment.
2) due to #1, ideally my set up will only use 1 water vat @50 gallons
3) it has a float valve on the upper wall to shut off RODI unit, but does NOT have one at the bottom. Don't really want to put one there and no breakout box either

I think that's all the technical stuff. So this is how I would like it to run: either Monday thru Friday OR days 1-28 of each month then last few days or weekends is when I would refill and mix my saltwater.

Does my explanation make sense? Is there an easier way to program this? Can the apex run off a calendar, like November has 30 days and December has 31. Can it run a program to account for the variation in days to start and stop? Or is there an easier way to program it with 1 container?

Thank you,

Corey

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really doable in whatever fashion you’d like. Simply speaking, you can shut off the AWC with a slider to the “off”position absolutely any time you’d like. Then you can mix water for however long it takes. I wouldn’t overthink it. I had the same questions and it’s been a non issue. I just simply turn off the WC and mix new salt. Admittedly, mine is probably faster since I have a RODI vat and just drain it to the mixing vat.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4D8BFAE0-1DC7-48B2-9342-AC3263FAB0D4.jpeg

I change out 19L a day. So you see where the slider can move to OFF? That’s it. That simple. I just turn it OFF and make water. Easy peasy. When the NSW is made, I slide it to AUTO and bingo ... back in business

OP
OP
biecacka

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super easy. Ideally I would have 2 vats but I don't have the space for them.
so is each "head" it's one program that needs to be slid to off position.

Corey

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super easy. Ideally I would have 2 vats but I don't have the space for them.
so is each "head" it's one program that needs to be slid to off position.

Corey

Having only one vat isn’t a big deal ... work with what you have. and yes, that’s exactly right.
Step 1 Slide them both to OFF
Step 2 make NSW
Step 3 Slide them both to AUTO

As you can see, each head is assigned to a function. I named mine DirtySWOut and FreshSWIn. They can run independently but I can see no reason to do that.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't. My waste water will go down my water drain that my washer is uses.

Corey

Correct, the DOS DirtySWOut goes from the sump (preskimming) directly to a drain. I add FreshSWIn after the skimmer right before the return pump. Also, I pull about 25 feet from my NSW vat to the DOS unit and then about 8 feet from the DOS unit to the sump. So it doesn't necessarily need to be close.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh....then no need to even be concerned. Just switch the DOS off when making up a batch.

The only thing i did differently was put a float switch in the bottom of my vat incase it runs dry.

You can get fancy and add a solenoid to the RO lines and remotely fill your Resovoir back up remotely so you don't have to wait on tbe water to run when you get home.

I have that but its only for rare extreme situations and i don't like my RO lines pressurized when im not ar home..even with solenoids and float valves.

Later i found it handy when i added a fish only system to actually run my reef water through the fowlr before dumping it as the water out of my reef is actually really good water still.

Its also nice to know my second tank matches the water in the first almost perfectly as if i ever spring a leak it should be zero issue to just throw stuff from one tank to the other.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back