Coral Crash from an AWC failure. Any thoughts on preventing this with Neptune APEX Alarms?

Texastravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my corals a few months back from an auto water change failure on my 120 gallon tank. I have a 55 gallon barrel of RODI water and a 55 gallon of fresh salt water that I remake once a month. My AWC system was set to 1.5 gallons per day water change at night with the Neptune DOS. What happened is the 1/4" line for new salt water developed a slight crack so the DOS was not dosing new salt water but it was removing the 1.5 gallons per night. The difference was being made up by my ATO pump.

Any ideas on how to alarm or prevent this with the APEX? I was hoping I could put a power usage alarm with the ATO so that if it was on above or below the average it would catch a failure of the AWC, however, it seems that after fiddling with this the Apex will only monitor max and min wattage (on/off) type usage on the ATO outlet. I was thinking I could set this up as max/min ATO run times but I am not sure if that would work either since the DOS likes to run in 10 min on off increments. I think It would only work if I could set it up to monitor total run time of the ATO throughout the day, not each run cycle. Is this doable? What are others doing?

OP
OP
T

Texastravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add that the way I manually check to make sure my AWC is working properly is once or twice a week I pull up the AWC power consumption graph and make sure it is running about the same amount of time as it usually does. I also periodically check my barrel levels outside to make sure it is depleting.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the only two methods I can think of would be to use a salinity probe (which can be unreliable sometimes) which would notify you and disable the ATO if the salinity were to go below a set threshold.

Or the other way would be to use one of their Liquid Level Sensors (LLS) to keep closer tabs on the level in your barrels. Then the trick would be to figure out how to program the alarm to notice if too much RO was used that day.

Rob Biederman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea ato and it shows the daily amount added by my top off. And +1 on the salinity probe it was the first thing that popped into my head

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my corals a few months back from an auto water change failure on my 120 gallon tank. I have a 55 gallon barrel of RODI water and a 55 gallon of fresh salt water that I remake once a month. My AWC system was set to 1.5 gallons per day water change at night with the Neptune DOS. What happened is the 1/4" line for new salt water developed a slight crack so the DOS was not dosing new salt water but it was removing the 1.5 gallons per night. The difference was being made up by my ATO pump.

Any ideas on how to alarm or prevent this with the APEX? I was hoping I could put a power usage alarm with the ATO so that if it was on above or below the average it would catch a failure of the AWC, however, it seems that after fiddling with this the Apex will only monitor max and min wattage (on/off) type usage on the ATO outlet. I was thinking I could set this up as max/min ATO run times but I am not sure if that would work either since the DOS likes to run in 10 min on off increments. I think It would only work if I could set it up to monitor total run time of the ATO throughout the day, not each run cycle. Is this doable? What are others doing?
the exact same thing happened to me with DOS. luckily I caught it in time and that was the last time I relied on the DOS for awc

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back