Dosed 5 times recommended all for reef, should I do a water change?

Tobias9413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I set up my dosing pump to drop 15ml of all for reef on a timer but the timer didn’t turn off and by the time I realized it had been dosing for 35minutes more than expected.

I was supposed to dose 15ml of all for reef but I ended up dosing about 80ml. My tank holds 70g of water. Should I be worried about how much went in? I don’t have any saltwater ready but I can make some quickly. Would I be better off letting it level out on its own or should I try to mix the water and do the change as soon as possible?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your levels now, and target. I'm not sure what the situation is with AFR?

80 mls in 70gallons doesn't sound like much.

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AFR in 100gal and I usually only dose between 10-15ml per day. I think 80ml in a 70gal would elevate alk, cal, and mag quite a bit along with the other elements it has

The safest bet would be to do a water change. You can’t go wrong with doing a water change.

OP
OP
Tobias9413

Tobias9413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your levels now, and target. I'm not sure what the situation is with AFR?

80 mls in 70gallons doesn't sound like much.
Last night I tested the big three and they were
Calcium 445
Mg 1400
Alk 8.5
Checked pH 2 days ago and it was 8.2

I was aiming for 9 Alk and I know that my tank uses 0.1dKH daily

Only thing that worries me is that TM recommends a max of 66ML for my tank size max so I’m definitely a bit over.

I am currently mixing 12g of salt water using TM Pro reef but I am only able to mix it for an hour before I have to leave the house.

Of course these things always happens before I have to leave for 2 days. ‍

OP
OP
Tobias9413

Tobias9413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these were your numbers after the accidental dump? If so how much after?
No those are from last night. Accident happened this morning. I can measure the parameters right now but I thought All for reef doesn’t show the readings for parameters right away

Mr. Wiggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that AFR takes a day or two to register higher alkalinity, as bacteria need to process it. So if you do a water change you may be able to get in there before any alk spike. Current parameter readings would be helpful!

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No those are from last night. Accident happened this morning. I can measure the parameters right now but I thought All for reef doesn’t show the readings for parameters right away
Understood. Yea I don’t know what the time delay would be for the numbers to register but it wouldn’t hurt to test

nycfreshreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just observe and if alk gets too high, do something then. It is likely fine.
+1 it should most likely be fine since it’s a 1 time dose and usually it will take multiple high doses to really affect your parameters to the point it would be dangerous ime , but a 10-20% water change is good for reassurance especially if you have lots of sps so if you have pre mixed salt water best to do that , otherwise should be fine

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it is likely fine.

Take it from this guy... there are a few things to do before you change things on your tank. First, empty your skimmer cup. Second, make sure that you have fresh saltwater mixed up. Ask me how I know... :(

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I tested the big three and they were
Calcium 445
Mg 1400
Alk 8.5
Checked pH 2 days ago and it was 8.2

I was aiming for 9 Alk and I know that my tank uses 0.1dKH daily

Only thing that worries me is that TM recommends a max of 66ML for my tank size max so I’m definitely a bit over.

I am currently mixing 12g of salt water using TM Pro reef but I am only able to mix it for an hour before I have to leave the house.

Of course these things always happens before I have to leave for 2 days. ‍
Interesting. You are already running elevated CA/ALk/Mg vs NSW so from my limited understanding the risk with elevated levels is if you get low nutrients (P/N) at the same time. Changing water would lower P & N which isn't a good idea. It could be a double whammy of unstable parameters an increase the likelihood of negative results. Let it ride, make sure your nutrients are measurable and start dosing again when the big three get back into your target range.

I've seen doser posters who had huge (compared to this) increases and trying to fix a thing that may be a problem can easily make it actually turn out worse.

My 2 cents,
and my sense is often better than my scent. :cool:

Hope I didn't offend with my silly banter. Good luck, stay calm, reef on!
skunk GIF

OP
OP
Tobias9413

Tobias9413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 it should most likely be fine since it’s a 1 time dose and usually it will take multiple high doses to really affect your parameters to the point it would be dangerous ime , but a 10-20% water change is good for reassurance especially if you have lots of sps so if you have pre mixed salt water best to do that , otherwise should be fine
I mainly have LPS with a monti as my only SPS and that thing can take a beating for sure. I didn’t have premade mixed water and after reading all comments I decided not to do a water change until I get back home tomorrow. I mixed 12g of water for 1hr but the water was 85.5f which is much higher than my tank temp so I decided against it and I had to leave home. I’ll just ride it out and do a water change tomorrow. Will update after a few days with results.

OP
OP
Tobias9413

Tobias9413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just observe and if alk gets too high, do something then. It is likely fine.
Thanks for the comment. I think I just panicked at first but you’re right, it should be fine. I’ll monitor parameters and just do my weekly water change tomorrow when I get back home

OP
OP
Tobias9413

Tobias9413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. You are already running elevated CA/ALk/Mg vs NSW so from my limited understanding the risk with elevated levels is if you get low nutrients (P/N) at the same time. Changing water would lower P & N which isn't a good idea. It could be a double whammy of unstable parameters an increase the likelihood of negative results. Let it ride, make sure your nutrients are measurable and start dosing again when the big three get back into your target range.

I've seen doser posters who had huge (compared to this) increases and trying to fix a thing that may be a problem can easily make it actually turn out worse.

My 2 cents,
and my sense is often better than my scent. :cool:

Hope I didn't offend with my silly banter. Good luck, stay calm, reef on!
skunk GIF
Thanks for the feedback! My nutrients are actually low too even with feeding 3 times a day pellets. I don’t even have my skimmer on because of how low it is just my refugium. I’ll just ride it out and do my scheduled weekly water change tomorrow when I get home.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back