Doser malfunctioned. Cal. From 420 to 580. HELP PLEASE.

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.
installed a auto doser on my 31 biocube four days ago. Set it up, didn’t program anything to wait the four days to see depletion. It’s been four days. Tank looks a little odd and just noticed the calcium was being dosed for some reason and it’s climbed from 420 to 580 in four days.

do I want to correct it fast or correct it slow and what’s the best way to correct it water changes? thanks as always guys.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya, do a couple of small water changes.. 580 calcium should not be too bad.. I have had mine in the 600's before (not saying to do that, just saying that it's not the end of the world).

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.
installed a auto doser on my 31 biocube four days ago. Set it up, didn’t program anything to wait the four days to see depletion. It’s been four days. Tank looks a little odd and just noticed the calcium was being dosed for some reason and it’s climbed from 420 to 580 in four days.

do I want to correct it fast or correct it slow and what’s the best way to correct it water changes? thanks as always guys.
Big water change!!

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

Mag also shot from 1420 to 1500

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just search this months.. reef of the month... his parameters are

1. pH 8.2 during the day, 8 at night. The skimmer takes air from outside of the house.
  2. Salinity at 35 ppt.
  3. NO3 around 1 ppm.
  4. PO4 around 0.1 ppm.
  5. Calcium from 450 to 500 ppm.
  6. Magnesium from 1300 to 1500 ppm.
  7. KH around 7.7.
i think you will be ok..

alk is way more of an issue...

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be more concerned about an alkalinity spike if it's in the supplement you dosed
Alk read 8.0 on first day and 7.5 on fourth so I know I have a .5 drop over four days and will start to dose for that after a water change for fix cal and mag readings. and re reading.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not panic about it at all, but would try doing some WC over a couple weeks to drop it. The alk drop could have been precipitate rather than consumption so i would not use that as your baseline until you get that calc down a bit doing some water changes and then measure consumption when alk/calc/mg are all within range

Back