Doser off, Alk still rising

Shadowspop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confused... My alk is rising daily. Currently sitting at 8.74, so it's not concerning me. The confusing part is that I have my doser turned off for 3 days. Cal is rising slowly, but I'm only dosing .2 ml/day. Mag is rising very, very slowly, even though I'm dosing 28ml/day. What could be causing these odd changes and my alk increasing. Corals are doing great. Tank is thriving.

I ran a manual test and all of the numbers were pretty close to the Triton, and reflecting a similar trend.

8.42 on 4/29
8.70 on 4/30
8.74 on 5/1

Doser off

RS xxl 900- 240 gal total
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate 20

Screenshot_20210501-132450_Gallery.jpg

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use kalkwasser? How are you doing calcium? There's relationship between carbonate hardness depending on tests whether you are dosing alk or not. And calcium and mag can both still raise it a tiny bit...

Give this a read through and see if it helps.

OP
OP
Shadowspop

Shadowspop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use kalkwasser? How are you doing calcium? There's relationship between carbonate hardness depending on tests whether you are dosing alk or not. And calcium and mag can both still raise it a tiny bit...

Give this a read through and see if it helps.
My calculations is OK, but I'm still not dosing what I think I should be I'm only dosing .2 ml/day in 240 gal. I know my mag is low and I've been trying to raise that. Dosing 30ml of mag/day and barely moving the needle. I just don't understand how the Alk is still rising. It was at 7.55 on April 6. Obviously too low, but it was steadily in the rise...and here we are. The funny part is that my corals are doing awesome. Having lots of growth and everything looks great. Not dosing anything other than Alk, Cal, and Mag. Feeding the corals a couple of times a week with Fuel and Benepets.
Is your salinity measurement accurate? Salinity changes alk rapidly
Yup, I checked the calibration first thing. It did drop a bit today, we'll see what happens throughout the day.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a possibility that you had some alk precipitate out? As the calcium and magnesium are raising, there’s a chance that precipitate is dissolving.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re using a Trident for testing, you may want to check your sample and reagent lines. I ran into a similar issue and it turned out the reagent line had a micro bubble.
I’d check the sample line and re-prime it. If your reagents are close to being done, you may want to change them out an recalibrate. If not, at least re-prime all 3.
Or confirm your readings with a Hanna checker. I racked my brain over the same issue for days until I figured out it was the Trident reagent line.
Just my 2 cents...

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.70 to 8.74 is probably just imprecise testing results. I wouldnt worry about rising alkalinity until this climbs over 9 for example.
Also are these results from exactly same time of the day on both days?

OP
OP
Shadowspop

Shadowspop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a possibility that you had some alk precipitate out? As the calcium and magnesium are raising, there’s a chance that precipitate is dissolving.
Possibly, but not sure from where. 250# of CaribSea rock, live sand, about 5# of matrix rock in my sump. Haven't really added anything to the tank other than frags.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When MG is low, Alk and CA will not read correctly.
Get MG up first to 1350-1400ppm and retest.

That is not correct. Alk and calcium "read" correctly, regardless of magnesium levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calculations is OK, but I'm still not dosing what I think I should be I'm only dosing .2 ml/day in 240 gal. I know my mag is low and I've been trying to raise that. Dosing 30ml of mag/day and barely moving the needle. I just don't understand how the Alk is still rising. It was at 7.55 on April 6. Obviously too low, but it was steadily in the rise...and here we are. The funny part is that my corals are doing awesome. Having lots of growth and everything looks great. Not dosing anything other than Alk, Cal, and Mag. Feeding the corals a couple of times a week with Fuel and Benepets.
Yup, I checked the calibration first thing. It did drop a bit today, we'll see what happens throughout the day.

I think that must be a typo?

You are dosing 0.2 mL of something (what???) to a 240 gallon tank? Like with a tiny syringe? A single drop?

OP
OP
Shadowspop

Shadowspop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.70 to 8.74 is probably just imprecise testing results. I wouldnt worry about rising alkalinity until this climbs over 9 for example.
Also are these results from exactly same time of the day on both days?
I believe those times were both at noon. I've been doing my manual testing at noon as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back