Dosing Acropower: better as bolus or slow continuous amounts?

ConsummatePro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying out Acropower with just 30-45 ml in a 165 gal system (likely 190 total water with sump and rocks etc) only twice a week for now (starting slow in case of problems).

I know this isn’t a lot for the volume but worndering if there’s any guidance as to whether or not it’s better to transiently have a higher concentration of aminos the corals can grab vs a very low trickle over the day?

I already dose 2 part and TM C over the 24 hours to keep alk, ca swings minimal but amino acids would seem to be a bit different (ie not directly affecting tank chemistry like the big 3).

I don’t know anything about coral transport mechanisms to know if they have a minimal concentration gradient they can extract.

So bottom line: is there any data or experience if corals do better (ability wise, growth wise) extracting transiently higher amino acid concentrations (bolus dosing) vs a steady state of very low concentrations?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think anytime you can dose over a longer prolonged period (say when lights are on) is more beneficial. That being said, I know there are certain things I hand-dose because I don't have enough dosing heads.

OP
OP
C

ConsummatePro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just happened on this thread over at humblefish where apparently Julian Sprung says tiny daily douses don’t work due to a threshold issue.

In the quote below “my email” is the OP’s email, not mine.

My email:
Thank you for the information. The AcroPower arrived yesterday and will start dosing today. Last question, can I split the weekly minimum dosage of 50ml into daily 7ml dosages or do you recommend the 50ml all at once?

Julian response:
Lots and lots and lots of people
make the mental leap to splitting the minimum dose into tiny daily doses. The result of doing that would be seeing little or no effect, and then disappointment.
There is an ideal threshold dose which is 5 ml per 25 gallons, all at once. With that dose you can see the effect quite clearly.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back