Dosing and reducing nitrate

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers, I am chasing that numbers!

On my 2 years old tank 120g mixed reed, my nitrate is at least 25ppm, so I am dosing microbacter 4 caps daily.

however, on my 9 months old tank, nitrate is 0-1ppm so I am dosing neonitro to raise it to 5ppm.

by reading the instruction, it’s recommended that to used neonitro in conjunction of microbacter? I am confused.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why they say to add microbacter too. I would not add microbacter with neonitro unless you are trying to fight cyano or something like that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, microbacter is not an optimal way to reduce nitrate, but if you think it does something useful for you, there's no substantial drawback except cost.

You certainly do not want to be adding neonitro to a tank where the goal is to reduce nitrate.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why they say to add microbacter too. I would not add microbacter with neonitro unless you are trying to fight cyano or something like that.

Microbacter clean would probably be the better choice for what you are looking for. From my understanding, clean is essentially a bottle of just the scavenging hetereotrophs found in microbacter 7, which is a mix of those and cycling bacteria (and anerobic bacteria).

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im confused on this also. My nitrates are near 0 and I have some dino starting. I got Neonitro to dose, but it says dose it with microbater. But the bottle of microbater says it reduces nitrate, so adding neonitro to raise, then adding microbater seems like it would just undo everything, and get you no where.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers, I am chasing that numbers!

On my 2 years old tank 120g mixed reed, my nitrate is at least 25ppm, so I am dosing microbacter 4 caps daily.

however, on my 9 months old tank, nitrate is 0-1ppm so I am dosing neonitro to raise it to 5ppm.

by reading the instruction, it’s recommended that to used neonitro in conjunction of microbacter? I am confused.
Are you unable to transfer 25 ppm water to 9 month old system?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im confused on this also. My nitrates are near 0 and I have some dino starting. I got Neonitro to dose, but it says dose it with microbater. But the bottle of microbater says it reduces nitrate, so adding neonitro to raise, then adding microbater seems like it would just undo everything, and get you no where.

Brightwell has an issue with bad instructions lol

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only guess why they say to dose microbacter7 is to quickly re-establish microbes in the tank if they died off from 0 nitrate.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that’s exactly what I read too and I was so confused. I only dosed neonitro but I guess I dosed too much and it was high. I had been dosing vinegar and brought it down from 25 to around 10. I turned the skimmer on for about 18 hours and feed less.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back