Dosing and water changes

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be using an auto doser for dosing Ca, Mg, and Alk with my next tank build but I had a question regarding when I do water changes. Tank will be roughly 70g including sump and I will most likely be doing 10g WC's every week or two.

1. Once I figure out my daily dosing for the tank, what will happen to CA, MG, and ALK when I do a water change?
  2. Will I need to increase my dosing for that day?
  3. Hypothetically, won't my main three trace elements slowly go down to numbers provided in the salt I use if I don't keep them within that range?

yOdaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your regular water change and leave the regular dosing schedule. I test once a week or every 2 weeks and dial it in. Won’t change all that much Unless you added more corals or change salt brand. If it bothers you then test once a day until you see stability in consumptions.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a salt that matches your parameters, or match the new mix to your tank. Doesn't throw dosing off one bit.

For example, I keep my tank at ALK 7.5, CAL 420, MG 1350. I used purple box IO and add a small amount of MG, and some muriatic acid to drop the ALK to 7.5. When I do a WC I'm adding nothing other then new trace. So this does not throw off my dosing schedule one bit.

Easiest thing to do is just match your tanks parameters with the new incoming salts once you start dosing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back