Help on my ALK

kcsh91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a all in one tank, 30x30x30cm, water volume about 27L/7 Gal. I have two Nemos, one Zoa, one Green Star Polyp, and one Sinularia. I did some water parameters test, and found out my ALK is 4.8, CA 300 and Mg 1320. Weekly wc, around 20-30%. Why my ALK is so low and my Ca is 300 despite there are no high consuming corals. My corals are barely opened up, but not fully. Is there something wrong in my tank that cause this low ALK and Ca? Or could it be something consuming the Ca, which led to the decrease of Alk instead?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a all in one tank, 30x30x30cm, water volume about 27L/7 Gal. I have two Nemos, one Zoa, one Green Star Polyp, and one Sinularia. I did some water parameters test, and found out my ALK is 4.8, CA 300 and Mg 1320. Weekly wc, around 20-30%. Why my ALK is so low and my Ca is 300 despite there are no high consuming corals. My corals are barely opened up, but not fully. Is there something wrong in my tank that cause this low ALK and Ca? Or could it be something consuming the Ca, which led to the decrease of Alk instead?

What is your salinity?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.022-1.023 around there

Salinity needs to be 1.026

This may not seem like much, but as I understand it, your ability to keep your parameters within acceptable ranges is impacted by salinity.

OP
OP
K

kcsh91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity needs to be 1.026

This may not seem like much, but as I understand it, your ability to keep your parameters within acceptable ranges is impacted by salinity.
But how does salinity affect my ALK and parameters? Sorry, am new to reef, could not find more that to be related to my current issue. I read my ALK low could be likely due to the nitrate 50ppm to 2.8dkh that part.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how does salinity affect my ALK and parameters? Sorry, am new to reef, could not find more that to be related to my current issue. I read my ALK low could be likely due to the nitrate 50ppm to 2.8dkh that part.
Easily! Less elements in the water.. which salt are using? The bucket or box should tell you the alk levels at certain specific gravities. Fish stores keep it low to save money on salt and fish don’t really care about lower salinity… corals need the big 3. Alk, cal, mag.

And yes nitrates can reduce all levels but not that low unless corals or Corraline algae is sucking it up also.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One step at a time. Get your salinity up and stable. Then monitor the tank for 4-6 weeks and re-evaluate. Don't expect improvements overnight!

As far as how salinity impacts other parameters, we have some other users that are better qualified to answer that question.

The simple solution for a tank your size (27L) are water changes. Water changes serve two purposes:

1. Removal of nutrients from the water.
2. Replenishment of elements consumed by the tank.

FAITHFUL, WEEKLY, 20% water changes (in your case, 5.4 L) will go a long way in stabilizing your parameters in such a small tank.

OP
OP
K

kcsh91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easily! Less elements in the water.. which salt are using? The bucket or box should tell you the alk levels at certain specific gravities. Fish stores keep it low to save money on salt and fish don’t really care about lower salinity… corals need the big 3. Alk, cal, mag.

And yes nitrates can reduce all levels but not that low unless corals or Corraline algae is sucking it up also.
Am using Aquaforest Reef Salt.

OP
OP
K

kcsh91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One step at a time. Get your salinity up and stable. Then monitor the tank for 4-6 weeks and re-evaluate. Don't expect improvements overnight!

As far as how salinity impacts other parameters, we have some other users that are better qualified to answer that question.

The simple solution for a tank your size (27L) are water changes. Water changes serve two purposes:

1. Removal of nutrients from the water.
2. Replenishment of elements consumed by the tank.

FAITHFUL, WEEKLY, 20% water changes (in your case, 5.4 L) will go a long way in stabilizing your parameters in such a small tank.
Alright! Will go for there.

But i wish to know, if someone can answer on how salinity affects the parameters.

Dipi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read my ALK low could be likely due to the nitrate 50ppm to 2.8dkh that part.
I don't know the math behind, but as explained by Randy
There is no "direct" relationship.

The conversion of ammonia to nitrate depletes alkalinity, so if nitrate is rising, then alkalinity can be depleted by this process.

The consumption of nitrate by any process (except a water change) gives back the exact amount of alkalinity when it was made. So if nitrate is declining, that process will add to alkalinity.

So if nitrate is steady, and is coming from ammonia, then it should not impact the alkalinity.

If you are dosing nitrate that is being consumed, that is effectively boosting alkalinity a small amount.

probably the biggest comsumption of ALK in your tank is the nitrification process, and since you are exporting NO3 through WCs, this ALK is not restored.

About salinity affecting parameters, in your case is basically dillution. Your salt is the only way you import ALK, Ca, Mg and trace. Lower salinity, means you are adding less of this elements

OP
OP
K

kcsh91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the math behind, but as explained by Randy

probably the biggest comsumption of ALK in your tank is the nitrification process, and since you are exporting NO3 through WCs, this ALK is not restored.

About salinity affecting parameters, in your case is basically dillution. Your salt is the only way you import ALK, Ca, Mg and trace. Lower salinity, means you are adding less of this elements
Yea. I read this! Very good article tho.

Now, can i just add extra reef salt into my current tank (dilute first) then slowly add in to make it reach 1.026?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I read this! Very good article tho.

Now, can i just add extra reef salt into my current tank (dilute first) then slowly add in to make it reach 1.026?
Best to do it with top off.. top off with saltwater for a couple days slowly.

OP
OP
K

kcsh91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i may, would like to ask, Salifert / API test kits, or any other brands, which one is more recommendable for Ca Mg Alk tests?
Best to do it with top off.. top off with saltwater for a couple days slowly.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i may, would like to ask, Salifert / API test kits, or any other brands, which one is more recommendable for Ca Mg Alk tests?
Hannah for alk and Salifert for mag and calcium.. the Hannah checker for calcium works great but it’s a pain to use lol..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back