DIY MG when using Kalk for Ca/Alk

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manage my Ca/Alk dosing Kalk, and do a 10% WC with IO weekly (or biweekly). I rarely test MG but just did and it is super low....like below 700. I now realize that unlike some of the other 2 part methods Kalk does about nothing for MG and apparently IO is low in it to begin with.

So, I am going dose MG and read a few threads including this one from Randy (https://web.archive.org/web/20170328124558/http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php). I plan on using recipe 3 with Mag Flake (some pure DeadSea Mag flake off Amazon) and pure Espom salt. However, I have seen it recommended in a ratio of 10 : 1 (Magflake to Epsom) but also at 7.25 : .75.

The ratio is close, but one favors the Epsom a tad more. This will be used regularly with Kalk so is one ratio better than the other for long term use?

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point, I do have another brand Kit so I will do that.
From ATI: "Proper magnesium levels prevent precipitation of calcium carbonate, which is critical to maintaining the proper levels of calcium and alkalinity."

I know there have been a lot of folks who have been unable to maintain alk/cal when they have low magnesium.

How much kalk are you dosing a day? What size system?

OP
OP
I

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From ATI: "Proper magnesium levels prevent precipitation of calcium carbonate, which is critical to maintaining the proper levels of calcium and alkalinity."

I know there have been a lot of folks who have been unable to maintain alk/cal when they have low magnesium.

How much kalk are you dosing a day? What size system?

In the past I have had issues with Precipitation (different tank) but not currently. The tank is a standard 120Gal with a 40gal sump about half full. It's mostly stocked with small frags at the moment and a few LPS with anywhere from 5 to probably 8 heads. Some of the SPS have taken off lately so I am slowly raising how much KALK I dose to maintain an Alk of around 8.4 (HANNA tested). Generally speaking I am not having an issue maintaining Alk in the mid to low 8's. It's been stable there for a few months though as noted I am recently having to increase the dosing - but there is associated SPS growth that explains it. I also added a 3inch T Maxima. CA was 450 today tested with a Salifert.

If you trust the calibration of my LiterMeter I am dosing roughly 2.55 L/day of UN-saturated KALK solution (3 TBSP Kalk to 7 Gal RO/DI water). I usually add about 7 gallons (to a 12 gallon tote) roughly every 2-3 weeks give or take a few days. I am not using a fully saturated solution because I wanted it to dose more often and higher volume to make my ATO have to do very little work. I know as growth occurs I'll have to up the saturation.

For sure I need to redo the MG test for accuracy. Still, I am sure I should be dosing some MG if I am only using KALK dosing and doing small WC's every 1-2 weeks. I don't see how such small WC's alone could maintain MG.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manage my Ca/Alk dosing Kalk, and do a 10% WC with IO weekly (or biweekly). I rarely test MG but just did and it is super low....like below 700. I now realize that unlike some of the other 2 part methods Kalk does about nothing for MG and apparently IO is low in it to begin with.

So, I am going dose MG and read a few threads including this one from Randy (https://web.archive.org/web/20170328124558/http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php). I plan on using recipe 3 with Mag Flake (some pure DeadSea Mag flake off Amazon) and pure Espom salt. However, I have seen it recommended in a ratio of 10 : 1 (Magflake to Epsom) but also at 7.25 : .75.

The ratio is close, but one favors the Epsom a tad more. This will be used regularly with Kalk so is one ratio better than the other for long term use?
Your Magnesium test is incorrect.

Perform a test with a different test kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manage my Ca/Alk dosing Kalk, and do a 10% WC with IO weekly (or biweekly). I rarely test MG but just did and it is super low....like below 700.

Definitely not accurate. Time for RMM.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Still, I am sure I should be dosing some MG if I am only using KALK dosing and doing small WC's every 1-2 weeks. I don't see how such small WC's alone could maintain MG.

Yes, there's a fixed amount to add to avoid the problems of testing:

OP
OP
I

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there's a fixed amount to add to avoid the problems of testing:

Thanks for the link Randy.

Yup, testing error. I did the test again today with 2 different test kits and got 1360 and 1380. After doing this for as long as I had you would think I would know not to freak out at such an outlying number!

So that said, what is the "target number" these days for Mg in a SPS tank? Might be the article but I haven't had time to get to it yet.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link Randy.

Yup, testing error. I did the test again today with 2 different test kits and got 1360 and 1380. After doing this for as long as I had you would think I would know not to freak out at such an outlying number!

So that said, what is the "target number" these days for Mg in a SPS tank? Might be the article but I haven't had time to get to it yet.

I think 1300-1350 ppm Mg is a good target, but many folks have their own preferences. :)

OP
OP
I

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread provided some good numbers on the topic as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back