Trident getting high ca and mg

gms1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Have a trident (new to me - diy service kit done) going for past week or so.
I keep getting high Ca and Mg despite calibration on my tanks water (calibration solution was out for alk). I calibrated ca to 430 and mg to 1320 as per my salifert tests.
My latest results on trident come back as 575 and 1542 - my correct results should be 1320/430
Water is sources from main chamber of sump and dosing is done in the return chamber.

Any advice would be good.

55NEVER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started to do funny readings of alk and calcium, also read no water sample. I contacted neptune customer support and sent mine in for service. They recommend service between 24-36mths on all tridents or you can choose to do it yourself with their at home kit. I also know, if your sample line is in a spot with high micro bubbles it can produce false readings according to the neptune manual.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Have a trident (new to me - diy service kit done) going for past week or so.
I keep getting high Ca and Mg despite calibration on my tanks water (calibration solution was out for alk). I calibrated ca to 430 and mg to 1320 as per my salifert tests.
My latest results on trident come back as 575 and 1542 - my correct results should be 1320/430
Water is sources from main chamber of sump and dosing is done in the return chamber.

Any advice would be good.
I don’t use the task function for calibration, but use this procedure. It does make a difference in how you calibrate, and I advise against setting the Trident to your other test kits.

Calibrating the Neptune Trident Reef Tank Tester the Right Way!

OP
OP
G

gms1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started to do funny readings of alk and calcium, also read no water sample. I contacted neptune customer support and sent mine in for service. They recommend service between 24-36mths on all tridents or you can choose to do it yourself with their at home kit. I also know, if your sample line is in a spot with high micro bubbles it can produce false readings according to the neptune manual.
I think I've found the problem. Pinched my waste line. The calibration solution ca and mg were good. But alk was 9.4 on my hanna and 9 on salifert when bottle lists 8.26

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back