Dosing aqua forest with salinity increase?

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found there salinity increasing while dosing the aqua forest balling 3 part? I have just started and have not seen it yet, but have been told to watch for it. The nature of the chemical “sodium” carbonate infers its make up of salt. I’m looking for anyone else’s experience and if there was an issue with having to check salinity level, and making adjustments every so often to counter its increase.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually your regular water changes will handle the minute changes in salinity from dosing--you don't need to do anything. If you're not performing water changes, then consider doing so, if nothing else, to keep your salinity stable.

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually your regular water changes will handle the minute changes in salinity from dosing--you don't need to do anything. If you're not performing water changes, then consider doing so, if nothing else, to keep your salinity stable.
Ya I figured it would be a very small amount added, and would take a very long time to effect the salinity level.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Effect should be slight.

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with this and actual facts on how much it did it didn’t raise bit?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found there salinity increasing while dosing the aqua forest balling 3 part? I have just started and have not seen it yet, but have been told to watch for it. The nature of the chemical “sodium” carbonate infers its make up of salt. I’m looking for anyone else’s experience and if there was an issue with having to check salinity level, and making adjustments every so often to counter its increase.

Salinity rises with ALL two parts and Balling products. It is inherent to the system. Just remove some tank water and replace with RO/DI periodically.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discuss it here:

The Many Methods for Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity - REEFEDITION

The rise in salinity of these products over time can be very roughly calculated, though there are several reasons why this calculation is only an estimate. For every 1000 meq of alkalinity added in this fashion (and the matching amount of calcium) these products will deliver on the order of 60 grams of other ions to the tank. In a tank with a low calcification demand (defined later to be 18.3 thousand meq of alkalinity per year in a 100 gallon tank (0.4 dKH/day)) this effect will raise the salinity by 3 ppt per year (compared to a normal salinity of S ~35). In a high demand tank (defined later to be 219 thousand meq of alkalinity per year in a 100 gallon tank (4.4 dKH/day)), the salinity will rise by 35 ppt in a year, or approximately doubling the salinity. Consequently, the salinity should be monitored closely in using these types of additives, especially in a tank with high calcification rates.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back