Dosing Calcium? Alkalinity Stable.

Zenchi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a 210g mixed reef tank and my parameters have been stable at the following.

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, Salinity 1.025, dKh 9, Temp 77-77.5F, Calcium fluctuates between 320-380. Water changes do not bring calcium above 380.

The tank currently has a few softies and LPS but we would like to delve into SPS in the future. Since dKh is stable, is there a best way to only increase calcium? If so, what products are recommended. Thanks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like red sea calcium since it also contains strontium (and barium). BRD calcium chloride is very cost efficient too. Thete are tons of options. What salt do you use?

OP
OP
Zenchi

Zenchi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like red sea calcium since it also contains strontium (and barium). BRD calcium chloride is very cost efficient too. Thete are tons of options. What salt do you use?

Thanks for your feedback.. We use Instant Ocean salt.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep...that's I/O calcium. Sorry...I'm a salt atheist and stick to I/O. Salt brand is the least of my variables to be concerned with when it comes to SPS.

Starter SPS wont eat much calcium. A 210 contains massive amounts of calcium for starter frags to consume and worry about. As they grow alk will start to dive faster and at a point it will dive faster than you want to bother increasing water changes to compensate for. At that point you pull the trigger on dosing two part. Until then water changes should still take care of calcium.

You can always get a jar of whatever calcium chloride your reef shop carries and raise it a bit.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back