Dosing calcium and alkalinity

Reefcube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the best way to dose calcium and alkalinity in my tank? I do not want to use a pump but is that the best way. I am afraid that I won’t get the calculations just right and my tank will crash. I have apex 2016.

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seachem powder additives are very nice. Use a good test and some quick math or go to their website and there is a dosage calculator there. I use the reef builder alk, reef advantage calcium, and reef advantage mag.

jhOU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an apex, easiest way is a dosing pump for sure. I use the brs dosers. Test alk/cal for several days to find your consumption rate per day, brs has a calculator of how much to dose for the difference. For programming, just use this link and it will create the programming for you.
https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just do weekly water changes with a great salt like Red Sea Coral Pro, Seachem Reef, Fritz RPM, Tropic Marin

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is relatively new, consumption is generally low and doesn't require much. Water changes are generally enough to keep up early followed by some additions to the top off water for a while. Once established, dosing pumps are certainly the easiest way to go. Beyond that, a calcium reactor if the system is large enough to warrant one.

Figuring out the dose is easy, you simply measure consumption over a 24 hour period and dose accordingly. There are calculators to help in this regard.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back