Kalkwasser Dosing

whitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 280 gallon system that I’ve recently set up. I’ve now acquired several frags, and have started dosing kalkwasser to bring ph up and bring alkalinity and calcium up. I started out dosing about 5600ml a day to see what happened, and have since upped that dosage to 15,200 ml. Alkalinity and calcium both contribute to decline, but calcium has leveled off at around 360 while alkalinity has dropped to about 7.0 from a 7.9 starting point. I don’t see any signs of precipitation yet, so am confused at what I’m doing wrong. I am dosing with Neptune DOS through a 3 gallon ice cap stirrer. What say you?

OP
OP
W

whitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 L os saturated kalkwasser is 1.6 dKH in 289 gallons. How did you make the kalkwasser?

The sand may be precipitating calcium carbonate. How new was it?
Thanks for the response. I mixed Brightwell Kalk+2 in the 3 gallon stirrer, and just added enough to make 21 gallons of saturated, so that as it is used up it would stay saturated for a length of time. And the apex turns the stirrer on for 1 minute every hour. Sand was new in bag dry aragonite special grade. Rock is about 60% dry rock and 40% live rock from LFS. I’ve not noticed any clumping sand yet, and have a Melanarus wrasse that seems to have no trouble burrowing the sand at night.

OP
OP
W

whitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I mixed Brightwell Kalk+2 in the 3 gallon stirrer, and just added enough to make 21 gallons of saturated, so that as it is used up it would stay saturated for a length of time. And the apex turns the stirrer on for 1 minute every hour. Sand was new in bag dry aragonite special grade. Rock is about 60% dry rock and 40% live rock from LFS. I’ve not noticed any clumping sand yet, and have a Melanarus wrasse that seems to have no trouble burrowing the sand at night.
System was set up in late January for reference.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realize that the magneisum in kalk+2 is not useful. It contains very little (less than is present as an impurity in the normal calcium hydroxide I used) and won't dissolve into kalkwasser anyway.

FWIW, kalk stirrers often do not product saturated kalkwasser. i suggest trying to measure the potency. Do you have a conductivity meter that can read 10 mS/cm?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, kalk stirrers often do not product saturated kalkwasser. i suggest trying to measure the potency. Do you have a conductivity meter that can read 10 mS/cm?

Is that a linear relationship? ie reading 7.5mS/cm would be 75% saturated

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a linear relationship? ie reading 7.5mS/cm would be 75% saturated

Yes.

It does depend on temp a bit. At lower temps, saturation will be higher than at higher temps. At 25 deg C, it is close to 10.3 mS/cm.

OP
OP
W

whitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while I don’t have a conductivity meter that will read in mS/cm, my tds meter reads about 765 ish, starting with 0 tds water before adding kalkwasser. That reading is at roughly 45 minutes since the last stir.

OP
OP
W

whitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my parameters over the past few days.

Attachments

• IMG_2347.png
    IMG_2347.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2348.png
    IMG_2348.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2349.png
    IMG_2349.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 13

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back