Dosing Fuel and Acropower

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone dosing both fuel and acropower to their reef interchangeably? I started with fuel but went a little overboard with it and had a small outbreak of dynos. Not totally sure if that was the cause but I did some research and that’s what it led me to believe. Anyways, I switched to acropower but was thinking about switching to fuel 1-2 days a week as the bottle suggests

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’ve seen many people reporting that after dosing Amino acids, cyano bacteria started to show up.
Normally the reports are rather similar: tank not mature enough or not heavily stocked with corals yet...
I’m a bit puzzled regarding the correlation between fuel and dinos... seems a bit counterintuitive.
If possible, could you please elaborate more on it?

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’ve seen many people reporting that after dosing Amino acids, cyano bacteria started to show up.
Normally the reports are rather similar: tank not mature enough or not heavily stocked with corals yet...
I’m a bit puzzled regarding the correlation between fuel and dinos... seems a bit counterintuitive.
If possible, could you please elaborate more on it?
I had read the Fuel causes O2 to drop so I suspect that when I added fuel fairly aggressively it dropped O2 quite a bit which caused a Ph swing which then resulted in dinos. Stopped dosing fuel and they went away. Just an idea I had

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to why you are making a correlation between the two. If you are referring to Brightwell's BioFuel, that is a carbon source and of course Acropower is amino acids. How do you think one is affecting the other...or, why are you comparing them as if one would take the place of the other? Are you considering the Acropower to be a nitrogen source (to end up as nitrates) to counter the nitrate-lowering effect of BioFuel?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They’re both amino
add one or the other and you can also alternate use. Every other day is sufficient for addition of aminos

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to why you are making a correlation between the two. If you are referring to Brightwell's BioFuel, that is a carbon source and of course Acropower is amino acids. How do you think one is affecting the other...or, why are you comparing them as if one would take the place of the other? Are you considering the Acropower to be a nitrogen source (to end up as nitrates) to counter the nitrate-lowering effect of BioFuel?
Not referring to Brightwells product but rather AquaVitro Fuel. I picked up both for adding amino acids but wasn’t sure if there was any kind of benefit over using both interchangeably. I know Acropower isn’t supposed to raise nitrates or phosphates and I have read Fuel will reduce O2 temporarily

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not referring to Brightwells product but rather AquaVitro Fuel. I picked up both for adding amino acids but wasn’t sure if there was any kind of benefit over using both interchangeably. I know Acropower isn’t supposed to raise nitrates or phosphates and I have read Fuel will reduce O2 temporarily
OK. Sorry. I didn't know about AquaVitro's product.....only Brightwell's.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes , for a few years an no plans to change, it's a great combo. I dose Fuel about 25% of what the bottle suggest Mon & Thur. For acropower about 25% on Wed and Sat. I played with several dosing regimens for the first year. As long as the remainder of your chemistry remains stable, dosing at this rate will give you a noticeable increase in growth rate. I often mix fuel with TW (50/50) and direct feed just up current of Zoas, they'll thank you.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , for a few years an no plans to change, it's a great combo. I dose Fuel about 25% of what the bottle suggest Mon & Thur. For acropower about 25% on Wed and Sat. I played with several dosing regimens for the first year. As long as the remainder of your chemistry remains stable, dosing at this rate will give you a noticeable increase in growth rate. I often mix fuel with TW (50/50) and direct feed just up current of Zoas, they'll thank you.
I may start doing that then and see how my results are over the course of a month or two. I’ve used fuel in the past and really liked it but my new tank is just so small the decrease in O2 concerned me

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been wanting to add acropower but its just been 6 months since i completely beat dinos and dont wanna risk anything lol

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been wanting to add acropower but its just been 6 months since i completely beat dinos and dont wanna risk anything.
My tank has been up for about 3-4 months and I had dinos in the beginning which I expected. They went away once I added a fish and then came back for a very brief period of time probably 2-3 weeks later. I’ve been dosing Acropower for about 2 weeks and haven’t had any issues

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank has been up for about 3-4 months and I had dinos in the beginning which I expected. They went away once I added a fish and then came back for a very brief period of time probably 2-3 weeks later. I’ve been dosing Acropower for about 2 weeks and haven’t had any issues
Reviving an old thread. I’ve been considering adding Acropower to my use of Fuel. Wonder if you have any additional feedback after a year since you started.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old thread. I’ve been considering adding Acropower to my use of Fuel. Wonder if you have any additional feedback after a year since you started.
The tank actually crashed a few weeks later and I stopped dosing acropower. Tbh I didn’t really notice any significant difference in Acro health

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank actually crashed a few weeks later and I stopped dosing acropower. Tbh I didn’t really notice any significant difference in Acro health
Oh boy, glad I asked! Do you think it was directly from the AcroPower and too much being added?

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, glad I asked! Do you think it was directly from the AcroPower and too much being added?
No not at all. I think I rushed the tank which caused nutrients to bottom out and Dino’s to take over. The acros we’re doing well for a while but I just couldn’t kept the nutrients up. Fwiw, if I do acros again I won’t use fuel or acropower.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has me chuckling over here. I read
"how was it"
"tank crashed"

"oh"

I used Selcon and Acropower and I notice huge blooms of fungi. I ended up having another issue pop (can't recall) and someone said it was to do with too much Amino being added to the system. Took about 6 months to flush the tank. Never came close to crashing. I still use Selcon but have moved on from Acropower. I really loved what it did for the colors but, my tank is matured enough that the corals stay pretty vibrant.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"how was it"
"tank crashed"

"oh"

I used Selcon and Acropower and I notice huge blooms of fungi. I ended up having another issue pop (can't recall) and someone said it was to do with too much Amino being added to the system. Took about 6 months to flush the tank. Never came close to crashing. I still use Selcon but have moved on from Acropower. I really loved what it did for the colors but, my tank is matured enough that the corals stay pretty vibrant.
This is probably more valuable than my experience. My tank wasn’t really up long enough to notice a difference.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"how was it"
"tank crashed"

"oh"

Thanks for sharing. my tank is at 16 months. I like Fuel but it requires refrigeration, and I have an extra doser available for AcroPower

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think dosing a bit of Acropower ever 2-4 hours would show really good results.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 45.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back