Dosing Kalk in ATO, Alk "stable" but shifts from 7-9 depending on top off timing/activation.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My alk was running low, 5, and I boosted it by changing water, dosing Polyp Lab One, and upping the Kalk in my ATO (I did the latter slowly as to not over do it. Ideally I would like to maintain my Alk and Cal with ATO only if possible.

Last few days my Alk has been 9 - 9.5 in the morning but this morning it was 7. I noticed my ATO was just about to activate (float valve was at it's lowest point). I let it activate and checked Alk 30 minutes later and it's back up to 9. . . ATO is 2 Tsp per gallon.

Seems like a pretty big swing? Assuming these levels are stable (I will keep checking them) 7 - 9 depending on when the last time my ATO went off, is that OK??? Should I do something else? Should I try to calculate evaporation and just dose my kalk that was for more consistency???

Are my SPS really "eating" through that much Alk?

Does any of this make sense?

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Using Nyos color changy testy thing.

Last edited:

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things:
  • I doubt your alkalinity was running at 5dKH
  • swing from 7.1 to 9 in one day is above commonly recommended
  • what is the total volume of your tank? ( I presumed it’s not very big system)
  • you can put ATO on timer, several times a day and if possible lower ATO pump flow ( Tunze has got this option)
  • your ATO pump should be above bottom of container, so it is not sucking up Kalk sludge

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the reply!

-Why do you think it wasn't running at 5dkh? Not saying you are wrong just don't understand, I did the test X2 just to make sure?
-Yeah that's what I figured, so think I should change how I am doing things
-40 gallon total with the sump
-I can run it on a timer, but not sure how that will help given my ATO is a float valve I imagine it will "dose" less often causing a bigger swing?
-It is above the bottom sort of. . . sits on the suction cups and the intake is mid pump. As far as I can see the pump is just sucking in the clear solution.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk was running low, 5, and I boosted it by changing water, dosing Polyp Lab One, and upping the Kalk in my ATO (I did the latter slowly as to not over do it. Ideally I would like to maintain my Alk and Cal with ATO only if possible.

Last few days my Alk has been 9 - 9.5 in the morning but this morning it was 7. I noticed my ATO was just about to activate (float valve was at it's lowest point). I let it activate and checked Alk 30 minutes later and it's back up to 9. . . ATO is 2 Tsp per gallon.

Seems like a pretty big swing? Assuming these levels are stable (I will keep checking them) 7 - 9 depending on when the last time my ATO went off, is that OK??? Should I do something else? Should I try to calculate evaporation and just dose my kalk that was for more consistency???

Are my SPS really "eating" through that much Alk?

Does any of this make sense?

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Using Saltifert color changy testy thing.
How are you checking alk?
Where are you taking your sample from?
How big is your sump?
How is your sump setup?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos test kit.
Sample taken from display tank
sump is 6 gallons.
Sump is single chamber. ATO dumps out next to my 2 return pumps.
1 thing I would do is have the ato dump where the display dumps in. It's one chamber and the alk will mix completly with 6 gallons before it goes to the display. This is less likely the display will see the jump.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1 thing I would do is have the ato dump where the display dumps in. It's one chamber and the alk will mix completly with 6 gallons before it goes to the display. This is less likely the display will see the jump.
well the display dumps into the exact some spot jut through a sock. . .

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_0449.jpeg

1699646558281.png

Last edited:

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing Kalkwasser through an ATO is asking for trouble. Besides the chance of overdosing, just the sudden influx of high pH water will cause precipitation especially in your pumps. You will probably have pumps seize if you continue. Get a dosing pump and timer, calculate your daily evaporation, and set the amount of Kalkwasser to dose just less than your average daily evaporation rate ( or less if your pH creeps above 8.4 or so). BRS makes some cheap dosers that I have found reliable.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt, do a water change. That always tends to straighten parameters out. As far as alk at 5, it is entirely possible if you arent dosing or doing regular water changes.

I would try and see if you can adjust your ATO to come on more frequently with smaller amounts of water added each time instead of it waiting a long time and adding a bunch of water at once. If this isnt an option, calculating your daily top off, and putting slightly less than that on a dosing pump to add equal amounts thruout the day would probably be your best option.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When in doubt, do a water change. That always tends to straighten parameters out. As far as alk at 5, it is entirely possible if you arent dosing or doing regular water changes.

I would try and see if you can adjust your ATO to come on more frequently with smaller amounts of water added each time instead of it waiting a long time and adding a bunch of water at once. If this isnt an option, calculating your daily top off, and putting slightly less than that on a dosing pump to add equal amounts thruout the day would probably be your best option.
I change water weekly (usually 5 gallons, so only like 12.5%) and was "dosing" 1 tsp per gallon kalk solution in my ATO when the reading was 5. . . is it possible my SPS were "eating" through that much Alk?

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your tester is off. nobody is keeping anything alive if your all is swinging like that . My tanks are almost impossible for all to drop down lower than 9. I’ve seen them go in the high 8s but 5 is crazy low

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Confusing... Is your calcium going up and down too?
I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but yes, the calcium was low and I did see it rise to acceptable levels after making the changes I mentioned in the original post. That said I did not check this morning when I checked alk. I can check tonight after work though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back