Kalk in ATO + dosing Alk?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm still testing, but looking like I can keep my Alk and Cal fairly consistent with a combination of kalk in my ATO (max saturation) and daily dosing Seachem Reef Fusion 2 (looking like 4+ mL a day but I am still dialing it in.)

Does this sound like an OK plan?

If so, can you recommend an affordable dosing pump that does not require additional stuff (I don't have an Apex)?

When should I be dosing?

If I dose Alk with a dosing pump should I add a timer to my ATO to make sure there is no overlapping dosing?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a fine plan, though the calcium is likely to decline by adding unbalanced alk every day.

It is true that kalk adds a bit of excess calcium relative to alk, but the size of that effect is smaller than a daily addition of alk would be needed to offset. That said, if you monitor calcium, you can make periodic additions as needed.

In terms of dosing small amounts, you can dilute a two part as much as you want before dosing to allow use of a different pump, if desired.

I would not dose alk and kalk at the same time right on top of each other, but if you physically separate the addition points, and are adding the kalk slowly, it should be OK. If the ATO dumps a bunch of kalk at once, that potential mixing with the alk dose is more of a concern.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is a fine plan, though the calcium is likely to decline by adding unbalanced alk every day.

It is true that kalk adds a bit of excess calcium relative to alk, but the size of that effect is smaller than a daily addition of alk would be needed to offset. That said, if you monitor calcium, you can make periodic additions as needed.

In terms of dosing small amounts, you can dilute a two part as much as you want before dosing to allow use of a different pump, if desired.

I would not dose alk and kalk at the same time right on top of each other, but if you physically separate the addition points, and are adding the kalk slowly, it should be OK. If the ATO dumps a bunch of kalk at once, that potential mixing with the alk dose is more of a concern.
I have been watching my Calc since starting to dose Alk, has been pretty steady at 450, came down about 10 points as of this morning (though that is assuming my test kits are truly that accurate). I assume I will have to start dosing Cal at some point, but it has not come down low enough for me to start dosing.

Adding 4mL of Reef Fusion 2 has my Alk has been 6.8-7 in the mornings. I would like to get it higher than that so will keep messing with it. . . and get a doing pump. . .

I was thinking about using timers to set my dosing and my ATO opposite each other. . . need to start monitoring pH through out the day and see how the kalk/ATO are affecting it. Last I tested my pH was up in the AM after the fuge lights ran all night. . . if kalk is boosting my pH should I have it coming on more during the day than at night?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. . if kalk is boosting my pH should I have it coming on more during the day than at night?

The answer depends on what is more important to you: stabilizing alk (dosing more during the day) or bringing up the low end of the pH range (dose more at night).

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The answer depends on what is more important to you: stabilizing alk (dosing more during the day) or bringing up the low end of the pH range (dose more at night).
So after testing this AM looks like my ATO is causing an all swing of 1 (6.8 to 8). . . Think it is time to do away with the kalk and go straight 2 part. . . I got a dosing pump today and just need to figure out how much fusion 1 and 2 I need to compensate for the lack of kalk

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has been much harder to dial in than I had hoped. . .

4mL of Fusion 1 seems to have my Cal stable at about 420.

Fusion 2 I have messed around with. Per my "calculations" I was dosing 1mL 12X a day and I sort of over shot the mark. . . was at about 9 this morning. . . which I am fine with, but the rate that it increased to 9 made me nervous. I am backing off the dosing to 8X a day, and skipped the next 2 doses. . .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back