Dosing Kalkwasser

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I run kalkwasser in my ATO but somehow my alk got up to 14. If I switch to regular RO water for top off and dose mag and cal will my alk decline?

Yes, but I cannot see that likely being needed. For kalkwasser to have raised alk it MUST have raised calcium proportionally, and if you dose nothing, you should get back close to where you were previously.

Let's just ignore magnesium for now since testing is typically less useful than one would like (e.g., often inaccurate), but what calcium level do you have?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk can be tricky. I accidentally got my Ca2+ up to 700 range. Keep the Kalk out of your ATO! Your pumps can’t handle it. 2 months tops, then all gummed up. Go with a Kalk reactor like someone mentioned before. Or just save the headache and get All4 reef
I would seriously recommend many daily water changes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk can be tricky. I accidentally got my Ca2+ up to 700 range. Keep the Kalk out of your ATO! Your pumps can’t handle it. 2 months tops, then all gummed up. Go with a Kalk reactor like someone mentioned before. Or just save the headache and get All4 reef
I would seriously recommend many daily water changes.

To be honest, what you are suggesting does not make chemical sense. To boost calcium by 300 ppm with kalkwasser, alkalinity would rise by 42 dKH, which obviously did not happen.

I also disagree on a kalk reactor. I dislike them for several reasons, including the fact that they are often producing less than saturated kalkwasser. They can work, of course, but I do not consider them an upgrade over a settled reservoir.

I also delivered kalkwasser by ATO for 20 years. If setting up again today, I'd probably use a dosing pump instead to better control the rate and timing of delivery. The two months and then gummed up comment was certainly not the case in my setup. lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back