Dosing Magnesium -- Which Brand Do You Prefer?

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time for another bottle of magnesium and I'm wondering -- are some of you brand-loyal (e.g. Red Sea only) or do you go for the best price? If you've tried a few brands, have you found one to be better quality, more accurate, or to have created miracles before your eyes?

Is the dosing the same across the brands? 1mL (in 100L/25g) = 1ppm?

It looks like the best deal on Amazon is a gallon of Fritz ($30). Next cheapest is ESV's gallon ($36), Brightwell's 2L ($25), and Red Sea's 1L ($25).

Last edited:

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time for another bottle of magnesium and I'm wondering -- are some of you brand-loyal (e.g. Red Sea only) or do you go for the best price? If you've tried a few brands, have you found one to be better quality, more accurate, or to have created miracles before your eyes?

Is the dosing the same across the brands? 1mL (of 100L/25g) = 1ppm?

It looks like the best deal on Amazon is a gallon of Fritz ($30). Next cheapest is ESV's gallon ($36), Brightwell's 2L ($25), and Red Sea's 1L ($25).
Redsea has the powder form you mix to water, I believe it makes about 3.5 gal.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use magnesium chloride from BRS and magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) that I buy at Walmart to make a solution to dose per Randy's recipe. I've never used anything else and honestly I rarely have to add magnesium, my AWC mostly maintains my levels for it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are ONLY three issues to consider when selecting a magnesium supplement. There is no magic to them.

1. Cost

2. The balance of the other ions that must be in it (e.g., chloride and sulfate), and whether they are appropriate for the intended use (meaning what else you dose changes what is optimal)

3. Purity, meaning lack of unwanted ions in it (say, ammonia). A percent number (99% pure, etc.) is not the answer here. Purity grading or better yet, a full detailed analysis is best.

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I just started dosing with seachem as it's the only one available at my lfs, just ordered the liquid mag from bulk reef. Had no negative effects so far with this that's visible to me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back