Dosing Magnesium

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm beginning the process of dosing two part. I decided to purchase the BRS Two part pharma pouches.

I am trying to get my levels right..then begin my daily maintenance dosing.

My calcium and alkalinity are about right.. 450 for Ca (Salifert kit) and 8.3 for the alk, (Hanna Checker) but my Mg is low, it reads 1100 on a Salifert test kit. From what I've read 1350 mg is closer to the optimal.

Using the BRS calculator, to get from 1100 to 1350 with the liquid Mg that came with the BRS two part kit I'd need to add 1713.7 ml of their Mg. That seems like a lot, but I'm probably wrong.

My total system, tank and sump, is 85 gallons, temp 78.8, using Red Sea Blue bucket salt. It's a mixed reef set up.

Is it safe to add that much at once?

OP
OP
databox

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

That calculator has different brands of Mag additives, but BRS mag isn’t one of them. They do have a ‘Randy’s Formula 1 & 2 ‘. I think I read that’s what the BRS recipe is. Can you confirm that?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check BRS's site as well. I haven't used it in years but they used to have a calculator as well.

To answer your question, I believe they are the same, but please...wait for confirmation on that as I'm not 100% positive.

EDIT...here it is.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator/

OP
OP
databox

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it might be the same. I used both calculators. When I put in my volume and mg levels on both sites give me the exact amount to add in, one with BRS Mg and the other with Randy's recipe.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back