Dosing mixes...how much...?

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have baking soda and seachems calcium mix. How high should my alkalinity be in my alk mix? Also how high should my calcium mix be in my calcium mix? About how much should I dose a 36 bow front with two large organ pipe corals.

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I’m clear on what you’re asking. Do you want to know the potency of your calcium and alkalinity, tank parameters, or dosing amount? Seachem should tell you how much to mix but I’ve never used baking soda. You can test your tank level and see how much calcium you need to dose and use Seachem’s instructions. You just don’t want to raise calcium too fast. Somewhere around 50ppm in 24 hours is where I’d stop. You can also google 2 part calculators to help you determine how much to add based on your daily consumption.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I’m clear on what you’re asking. Do you want to know the potency of your calcium and alkalinity, tank parameters, or dosing amount? Seachem should tell you how much to mix but I’ve never used baking soda. You can test your tank level and see how much calcium you need to dose and use Seachem’s instructions. You just don’t want to raise calcium too fast. Somewhere around 50ppm in 24 hours is where I’d stop. You can also google 2 part calculators to help you determine how much to add based on your daily consumption.
What should my concentration for my dosing mixes be? Like for my dosing should my alk be 9dkh or 15dkh. Should my calcium be 380 or 480.

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what type of corals you keep. If you keep soft corals your calcium and alkalinity can be lower. Low end of calcium is 380 but that would be soft corals and is still lower than I would like to run. LPS and SPS can vary, but 420-450(some will run elevated levels-pros and cons). Alkalinity should run 7ish to 8ish IMO no matter what, but people run this higher too. My salt mix comes in at +/- 11 dkh and 420-450 calcium. IMO the benefit to higher levels in an SPS tank is if you have high consumption you are less likely to have drastic swings resulting in your calcium and alkalinity getting too low as you will probably dose once a day. Too high and you don’t have the room for error if you mess up, easier to overdose. A lot plays into it. Soft corals are very dependent on photosynthesis, but LPS and SPS need calcium and alkalinity to build their skeletal structures along with photosynthesis.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what type of corals you keep. If you keep soft corals your calcium and alkalinity can be lower. Low end of calcium is 380 but that would be soft corals and is still lower than I would like to run. LPS and SPS can vary, but 420-450(some will run elevated levels-pros and cons). Alkalinity should run 7ish to 8ish IMO no matter what, but people run this higher too. My salt mix comes in at +/- 11 dkh and 420-450 calcium. IMO the benefit to higher levels in an SPS tank is if you have high consumption you are less likely to have drastic swings resulting in your calcium and alkalinity getting too low as you will probably dose once a day. Too high and you don’t have the room for error if you mess up, easier to overdose. A lot plays into it. Soft corals are very dependent on photosynthesis, but LPS and SPS need calcium and alkalinity to build their skeletal structures along with photosynthesis.
Ok thanks. I wanna know what concentration my dosing mix needs to be. Like the liquids I make.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should my concentration for my dosing mixes be? Like for my dosing should my alk be 9dkh or 15dkh. Should my calcium be 380 or 480.

the solutions will be hundreds of times higher. I suggest reading some basic dosing papers like those linked at the top of the forum.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back