Dosing Nitrate and phosphate

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i was more ULM if i didnt feed super heavy i had to dose both. now i run at .07-.08 p04 and 7 nitrates and dont worry to much about it. i still run a chaeto driven fuge as well.

CTFIREMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest that this calculator is a good one to use:

I recommend food grade sodium nitrate (or a little less desirably unless you measure potassium, potassium nitrate), and sodium or potassium phosphate. For the sodium entries in the calculator, use the potassium entry and just use a little less (exact dose isn't critical anyway).

I'm not a fan of the products sold by hobby companies that do not include any recognized purity grade on the product.

After battling low to zero nitrates and phosphates in my frag tank resulting in a devastating cyano outbreak killing about 100 frags, I took the advice to buy and suppliment sodium nitrate and TSP (havent used yet). Using the calculator on the planted tank website I dosed Sodium Nitrate raising my Nitrates to 5-7 ppm resulting in an immediate irradication of Cyano and rebounding of remaining coral health.

Now to my question : Without dosing the TSP, 4 days after dosing the sodium nitrate, my phosphates are now at .06. Is this from the natural break down for the nitrates? Is there a need to dose phosphates in a low nutrient environment or should dosing nitrates alone naturally fix the problem?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast do you want to raise NO3 and phosphate with dosing? I don't get any measurable nitrates dosing 1-2ppm.

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back