Dosing Nitrate Questions

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nitrate dosing is talked about a lot. A couple of questions that I’m not seeing clear answers to.

Quick background. I have bio pellets running and was dosing 14ml of vodka to lower nitrates. I was over 50ppm consistently. I’m dropping vodka down and started with a 2ml drop today. I’m still trying to get phosphate under control. I have it at 0.17 and trying to get it to 0.10 or less. Using GFO for this.

just had a large (5-6”) Derasa die on me in the last 2 days. Not sure if related to the nitrate crash or something else. I want to try and get the nitrates back to a safer level and maintain them there.

1. I bought 2L of NeoNitrate since Amazon was able to get it to me today. My Hanna HR is testing between 0 and 2ppm (within the margin of error). I’d like to get it up to ~15ppm. Based on my calculations, I should add 170ml??? If my calculations are right, do you dose at once or spread it over multiple doses?

Calculation: 90 Gal * 15ppm * .1261 = 170.235 ml

2. I’d like to move away from NeoNitro to a homemade product to lower cost. How quickly do you go through the sodium nitrate? I see all sorts of different sizes and costs. Loudwolf appears to be a known brand but is ~2x the generic cost. But if 8pm lasts a long time, the price may not matter.

Thanks,

TCoach

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 grams of sodium nitrate contains 73 grams of nitrate.

In 90 gallons (341 L) you need 0.34 grams nitrate to boost nitrate by 1 mg/L or 3.4 grams nitrate to boost it by 10 mg/L.

thus, a 100 g bottle will allow you to boost by 10 mg/L approximately 21 times.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure that 15 ppm is best (seems high to me, but not crazy high).

I’d not boost it that much instantly. Go slow to give creatures time to adapt. Maybe dose 4 ppm per day for a few days and see what happens.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back