Dosing/no water changes

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m planning to switch from weekly water changes to just dosing. I plan to use

BRS 2-Part Pharma Calcium & Alkalinity​

BRS Bulk GFO (mesh bag)​

Red Sea Trace Colors ABCD​

Chemi Pure Blue I already have
Protein skimmer I already have

I’ll have the two part to dose the big three, the trace colors for trace elements, gfo and chemi pure blue to maintain phosphates, and a protein skimmer to maintain nitrates and some phosphates (it will be turned on on a schedule to maintain nitrate levels)

I plan to dose the two part on the weekly. Unsure about trace right now. does this sound like a good regiment to get off of water changes completely or is there something else I need to get or do.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a fine general approach, but it doesn't ensure that ions are not accumulating or that the trace element additives are sufficient.
I plan to do icp tests every few months to check on levels. Should there be anything else I do to ensure that my levels are right?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to do icp tests every few months to check on levels. Should there be anything else I do to ensure that my levels are right?

That's fine, but a basic flaw in the hole ICP plan is that some elements will potentially deplete in much less time than a few months. If some are accumulating, you may need to do water changes to fix it

Fortunately, exact trace element values seems not that important.

Back