Dosing No3 and Po4????

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting discussion. This is something I have been researching for awhile. now. I remember not that long ago, reading the Tank of the Month over on Reef Central. There were some amazing SPS dominated tanks, and every single one of them would say their NO3 and PO4 are at zero. Now it doesn't seem to be possible to grow coral with out higher levels of Nitrates. Unless using Zeovit which was not around at the time. So what changed?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting discussion. This is something I have been researching for awhile. now. I remember not that long ago, reading the Tank of the Month over on Reef Central. There were some amazing SPS dominated tanks, and every single one of them would say their NO3 and PO4 are at zero. Now it doesn't seem to be possible to grow coral with out higher levels of Nitrates. Unless using Zeovit which was not around at the time. So what changed?

Mostly it's the concept of what 0 means, IMO. When I started, no phosphate kit could read accurately below 0.03 ppm, and we did not have nearly the capacity to easily get that low that modern tools give.

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about this redfield ratio thing. It says 16 to 1 N to P, So if phosphate is at .05 should nitrate be at .8 ppm. I normally see people shoot for 5 ppm nitrate and .05 ppm phosphate, that doesn't seem to match the ratio. Am I misinterpreting something.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about this redfield ratio thing. It says 16 to 1 N to P, So if phosphate is at .05 should nitrate be at .8 ppm. I normally see people shoot for 5 ppm nitrate and .05 ppm phosphate, that doesn't seem to match the ratio. Am I misinterpreting something.

That ratio is N,P and C in phytoplankton. Not in seawater. :)

/ David

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not think the redfield ratio should be used to target desirable levels. Target nitrate and phosphate independently to optimal levels, IMO.

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let's say my phosphate is at .05 and my nitrate is at .5 ppm. Can I just raise the nitrate to 5 ppm and leave the phosphate where its at?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let's say my phosphate is at .05 and my nitrate is at .5 ppm. Can I just raise the nitrate to 5 ppm and leave the phosphate where its at?

That’s what I would do. [emoji3]

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From what I have seen too low nitrate often leads to cyano bacteria and corals near the edge of giving up.
So dosing nitrate and phosphate has help us a lot at work. We use KNO3 and KH2PO4 from a fresh water/plant shop.

For potassium, we see a small decline in our Triton ICP test in most of our tanks. Haven't seen any increase of K after long term dosing of for example KNO3, but maybe our doses are too low to make any difference.

/ David

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might find that your phosphate drops after you start supplementing the nitrates. I had this happen to me. I've since started started dosing phosphates too.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with Randy. But keep an eye on the phosphate. Sometimes adding nitrate leads to very/too low phosphate in the long run.

/ David

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back