Dosing phosphate-e

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon nano tank that has elevated phosphates due to some stock that I’m holding for a friend. I believe the last time I tested with the API reef kit was 0.5 or 0.4. I have heard that phosphate-e has really unspecific and poorly explained dosing instructions, but I cannot install a reactor or whatnot due to not having elevated phosphate without the extra stock which will be gone in about 6 months. Anyone know the best method to dose and at what volume?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the link to the calculator right now at work, but I believe you can go through the Bulk Reef Supply website and find the dosing calculator there. When dosing, start with dosing about half of the recommended dose, though. Then retest and dose again later if required. Also when dosing, it is best to dose it very slowly (slow drip) into a 1-5 micron filter sock to attempt to remove any precipitate.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the link to the calculator right now at work, but I believe you can go through the Bulk Reef Supply website and find the dosing calculator there. When dosing, start with dosing about half of the recommended dose, though. Then retest and dose again later if required. Also when dosing, it is best to dose it very slowly (slow drip) into a 1-5 micron filter sock to attempt to remove any precipitate.
Would 200 micron work or would it be too big?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really best to re-test with another phosphate tester, the API tester is not adequate for our hobby. I keep my phosphate at .1, many will suggest even lower, some keep it at .03. But if you look at the API tester, it goes from 0 to .25.

If you do use phosphate-e, just add a few drops at a time and then test again, that stuff is super powerful, and if you add too much you can kill your corals, and in the worse case, your fish.

Two drops in my 40 gallon drops the phosphate by about .04. Again, the API tester is not able to measure that small amount, you need a tester that can.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly too big for the size of the precipitates.
I see. I just got my turkey baster and since the other fellow that dosed 2 drops into his tank, I am thinking of dosing just 1 drop into my filter sock of 200 microns. Is this wise or will my fish suffer?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few days ago somebody posted here about mishap with dosing into 200 micron, so I would caution you against it, however the fish which are most susceptible to Lanthanum(Phosphate-E) are Tangs and I hope you are not keeping those in 40 gal tank.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few days ago somebody posted here about mishap with dosing into 200 micron, so I would caution you against it, however the fish which are most susceptible to Lanthanum(Phosphate-E) are Tangs and I hope you are not keeping those in 40 gal tank.
Yeah no this tank just has nano fish. 2 ocelaris, diamond goby, Molly miller blenny, longnose hawkfish, and clown goby.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you think a drop would harm any of these guys though?

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lanthanum Chloride ( Lacl3) is bad news for tangs. I know several people who have had positive results with this but one of them lost alot of tangs and fish. It has to be used very carefully and I won't take the chance. I have used GFO in the past and now I am trying ROWA phos this week.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lanthanum Chloride ( Lacl3) is bad news for tangs. I know several people who have had positive results with this but one of them lost alot of tangs and fish. It has to be used very carefully and I won't take the chance. I have used GFO in the past and now I am trying ROWA phos this week.
I see. I just wanted to use the cheaper method as some of these fish will be going soon back to my friend, but judging from what y’all say with the interactions this stuff has, I might be better off just getting a media reactor and getting GFO…

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing diluted Phosphate -E from ATO, several times a day into 5 micron sock, without side effects.
I don't think drop would harm anything, but probably wouldn't do much good either.
Lanthanum chloride is not really toxic, but :
  • it can loower phosphates too fast, which can be detrimental too
  • Particles of precipitated Lanthanum phosphate can clog gills of some fish and suffocate them, hence dosing into 5-10 micron sock to filter precipitate
If you don't have Tangs then it would be OK and economical to dose diluted Lanthanum into 5-10 micron sock

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing diluted Phosphate -E from ATO, several times a day into 5 micron sock, without side effects.
I don't think drop would harm anything, but probably wouldn't do much good either.
Lanthanum chloride is not really toxic, but :
  • it can loower phosphates too fast, which can be detrimental too
  • Particles of precipitated Lanthanum phosphate can clog gills of some fish and suffocate them, hence dosing into 5-10 micron sock to filter precipitate
Oh ok. I think I’ll just avoid the drop then seeing as it won’t do anything important and get a reactor. I value the fishies a lot so I don’t want to put ‘em through that as it most likely will be my fault if they die due to my lack of knowledge.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I just wanted to use the cheaper method as some of these fish will be going soon back to my friend, but judging from what y’all say with the interactions this stuff has, I might be better off just getting a media reactor and getting GFO…
am trying ROWA phos in a reactor this week instead of typical GFO. ROWA is supposed to be better at removing PO4 with less. 100 grams treats 100 gallons of water about. Will remove 3ppm ...it says. I am on day one of this stuff in the 300..

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone I spoke to that uses LaCl3 speaks of the possible disaster but they drip it into a very very fine 5 to 10 micron sock.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone I spoke to that uses LaCl3 speaks of the possible disaster but they drip it into a very very fine 5 to 10 micron sock.
You think it would be a wise decision to use a drop in my 60 gal with a scopas tang I’m holding for a friend? I feel like in the other tanks I have, 150 gal, I have tangs so I don’t think this would be the wise tool to use.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back