Dosing PO4 and NO3

Cichlid23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for many months now my nitrates and phosphates have both been 0.00, I use the hanna test kit for each. My corals don't seem to happy about this and honestly I feed a lot with a few auto feeders going off multiple times a day. Still can't get it above 0.00 so I wanted to try throwing neophos and neonitrate on an auto doser. My question was if you could mix the two in the proper portions into a single auto doser or if they have to stay separate?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not absolutely sure.
But....
in my tanks I am in the same boat, 0/0. I feed a few times a day, pellet, flake, frozen, phyto. I also use TM plus NP in the morning and during lunch time I would throw in about 5-10ml of Neo phos/nitro in my tanks (2x 40g, 30g and a 10g) wasn’t too concerned about dosage because I was 0/0 anyway. I did get a decent PO4 reading today, but I have had false hope before. I bet tomorrow it will be gone.
I do get a patch of GHA here or there and my fast growing SPS are going crazy, so I do know there is presence of NO3 and PO4. I would just like there to be a bit more of a consistent buffer.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an idea who the numbers are at zero? Dosing neo whatever might not help especially if you have a large population of anoxic bacteria.

I would not mix anything from a manufacturer since you have no idea what they put into the product. If you made your own mixes, then you could ask if they can be combined.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb guess but mixing the 2 is probably a bad idea. Who knows what kind of reaction might occur. I was reading double zero a while back and found out what the problem was. Anyways I would just dose Neophos maximum dosage of .04 and was dozing ESV calcium nitrate. They both pulled the system out of reading zero. And definitely the corals do not like the 0/0 but dinos certainly love it and I would really try and get some detectable numbers quickly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back